Housing mother and daughter together?

natem

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was planning on saving a doe from my current litter. My current doe has a 6ft by 3ft run with a shelter attached. The litter is weaned at 6 weeks old. When they reach 12 weeks, i will select the doe i want to save and butcher the rest. Is it safe to take this saved doe (12 weeks old) and put her back in with her mother (10 months old) to live together? I heard that does can get territorial. They will have a lot of space, but I dont want any fighting. They are NZW btw

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends on the rabbits. Some does will get along, others will fight from the start, fight when they are pregnant or when they deliver or even through all of that.

It'd be better to just leave all the female kits with mom and take out the worst of them. But once that kit reaches sexual maturity, mom may try and kill her.

xa.logan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It's usually best to keep them separated. You could probably safely keep a doe with its mother for 20 weeks but that's a bit long. Anything more is surely pushing. It's totally possible that things could turn out well. But it's more reason to believe that something bad might happen to either of them. Especially when the little girl starts getting hormonal.