Housing

Tinamarie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
20180802_111412.jpg
Can someone please settle this for me. We have a "half" door on our barn(top and bottom opens separately) that opens to our corral. The hubby is wanting to leave the bottom part open all night long. Our withers are 3months old. I'm sure I'm a worried wart,but feel we shld not leave it open. There are 2 windows in the barn that I do leave open weather permitting. Cld someone settle this for us!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have predator problems in your area? Do you have any dogs, LGD's or just family dogs that have access to outside at night that could sound the alarm if they were bothered by predators? Are these full sized animals or the mini variety which could make them more susceptible to predators? Do you have neighborhood dogs that roam loose that could be a problem?
There are alot of considerations as to leaving them open or not. I would hate to pen them in constantly in the nice weather, but if there is serious threats to their well being.....
That said, there will be a definite draft if the windows are open and there is a breeze at night so I would also consider that. On hot days it would be welcome, but in cooler/cold weather the draft could actually be too much and cause health problems.