How are these guys?

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Quick background - we just bought a new house in a new state with a ton of land. A month or so after that, we bought our very first two Nigerian dwarf wethers.. they are the two closest to me in the photo (they are just under a year).

We went to the farm next door to buy some hay and they had two small goats in with their cattle. We offered to buy them both. The doe(ling) is pregnant and the boy just got banded. There was a large billy as well but he had already been bought.

We have heard conflicting stories - one being that these two are brother and sister and are babies and the other story being that the pregnant doe(ling) is the mother to the now wether.

What do you guys think? They are the little black ones in back. They look far to small to be full grown as someone suggested and are almost identical in size and color etc. I believe that they are brother and sister and are still babies.

Also, I am well aware that a baby having a baby could be life threatening. I knew this upon buying these two but I couldn’t leave them on the farm and have her kidding without all eyes on her on a cattle farm surrounded by mud/manure and hundreds of cattle. I do have a vet in contact in case of any emergency.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 7DD30700-A081-4729-A053-8C7794D85E57.jpeg
    7DD30700-A081-4729-A053-8C7794D85E57.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 177

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The 2 black goats appear to be close in age/size and may be related but coloration is NOT an indication of relationship. Aside from DNA testing, I don't know of a way to know for sure under the situation you presented... Grats on your new place and new animals.

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The 2 black goats appear to be close in age/size and may be related but coloration is NOT an indication of relationship. Aside from DNA testing, I don't know of a way to know for sure under the situation you presented... Grats on your new place and new animals.
Thanks! I did know that coloring doesn’t tell relationship. It did just go along with everything else that made me think they were siblings. Thanks!

They do look young though, correct?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
From the look of their horns, they aren't THAT young... I'd say maybe over a year (at least). Not sure as I don't do horns... Maybe someone who has horned goats can provide a better estimate. :hu

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks!

Gah!! Just realized my title is missing “old” lol. Trying to figure out how OLD these guys probably are.

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Teeth will tell. Google how to tell age of goat by their teeth. I also think by horn size they are most likely 2017 kids.
Their teeth just tell me they are under 1 year... they don’t have any adult teeth at all