How Backyardcows.com began

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It started as an April Fool's Day prank by Nifty on Backyardchickens.com. Here is the link to the thread over there.

I'm going to copy Nifty's first post on it and the one annoucing that it's a prank.

Nifty-Chicken
Administrator

PM Website IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT BYC Expanding!!!I wanted to share the exciting news with this community before it goes live...

BYC has been working closely with an organization that promotes more humane treatment of cows for beef production. This organization wants to expand the philosophy of "cage free" and "free range" to the beef industry. Part of this campaign will promote bovine awareness. This is where BYC comes in:

Announcing BackyardCows.com

The site and domain aren't currently live, but will be later today. The site will be in a similar format to BYC (for chickens) with basic "how to" guides and a forum.

I'm excited to be involved in this new venture and will be quitting my day job to advance both BackyardChickens and BackyardCows.com

For those of you that already own cows, please shoot me an email. My wife and I are shopping around for a calf and need help with how to house, feed, care for it.

Look for a BYCows advertising campaign that will include bumper stickers, fridge magnets, and BYCows hats (really cute... they are white with black spots and have a fuzzy black tail in back).

I look forward to your participation in the new BackyardCows.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 hens: 1 Delaware, 2 RIR, a Gold laced mix, a RIR / Black Aust. mix and 2 silver laced wyandottes, 1 duck: a crested runner mix
www.TheEasyGarden.com | www.SufficientSelf.com | www.BackYardCows.com

Nifty-Chicken
Administrator

PM Website Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT BYC Expanding!!!Okay everyone... April Fools!

I wouldn't have expected there to be so much genuine interest in a BYCows website. I was hoping that posting about quiting my day job and starting a site about cows in people's yards would raise some flags.

I told my wife I should have made it a little bit more outrageous sounding by saying I was going to run some ads for BackyardCows.com during "Dancing With The Stars".

I hope everyone had a great April Fool's day. If a group of people really want to run with BackyardCows.com maybe we can make it happen.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
kitty nifty made his misstake popping off about backyardcows around 2 dairymen/wemen :lol: an that is what got him into trouble.i know you was pushing him like i was to go through with backyardcows.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, actual up didn't take long. It was just convincing him to do it!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well he knew he could trust you an me to watch over it.but he didnt know that yet.