How bad are coyotes in KY?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They are getting bad basically everywhere in the US now. Some areas have it worse as they've cross bred with wolves as well as large domestic dogs. They could have just as easily entered KY from the east or north... If I do move there I don't know if I'd outright hunt them unless they were threatening my animals.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coyotes can be hunted year round in Tennessee. My neighbor's son has shot two on the edge of our place and I've found numerous small deer (fawn) skeletons when cutting the pasture.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We have a lots of yotes up here in NW Indiana--they even attempt shopping trips for sale priced clothing. This was yesterday in our local Kohl's.

coyote.jpg

We still have the ocassional coyote or fox come close the the house but not like they did before the LGDs.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
The coyotes are bad here too. I have counted as many as 12 to 15 out in a field less than a mile from our house.
I know here they play havoc with calves, lambs, and goat kids. They will gang up on dogs and lure in domestic dogs of either sex so the rest of the pack can attack to kill and eat. We use 17hmr and .243s, .22mag or anything able to reach out and touch one. My rabbit shed pulls them in even though I keep it pretty clean. One of our adjacent neighbors had a cow drop a calf out in the field between our property and theirs. She very wisely brought it up to a feeder, but the same couple loses lambs to the devils.
Another thing that amazes me is the bears, wolves, or other wildlife in the surrounding states to our North, South, West, and East, and our DNR officials here say we have 0 of either species. I just wonder what makes them think they stop at the state line. Someone mentioned the frozen Mississippi, but I am sure they can walk across all the many bridges. Anyway, that is my vent.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know it is funny but I wasn't joking
I've crossed the yellow line to clip one with my car a couple of times
I have also pulled of and shot at them with a pistol from the road
I keep a 22 magnum on hand for just such occasions
With a laser sight
I see them all the time beside the road I live on

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I aimed for one a couple of weeks ago, but he was too fast and ran into the woods. ;)