How big are newborn goats?

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was wondering roughly how big newborn goat kids are? This includes their weight for a miniature goat (such as Nigerian Dwarf), Standard size (such as alpine), and a bigger breed (such as a boer)? Maybe like the size of a small dog? Also, would you say they are about a foot long, or shorter? I am getting prepared for when I own goats and I am actually knitting goat sweaters to put away in my goat kit. (Call me crazy)! :weee
Thanks in advance. :)

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Well great job preparing !! I can't A your Q .. But I have to say GOOD LUCK !! :weee

P.S. Your not crazy .. Your called a well prepared person !! Some people aren't !! :thumbsup

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on goats, but I assume they would be 7-10 lbs at birth. Some may be heavier, some may be lighter. But that's what our lambs are born at.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
boer goats any where from 4 or 5 lbs to hopefully closer to 10 or 12 lbs with the average being more around 8 or 9 lbs.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If boer goats are 4-5lbs, than nigerians must be teeeeeeny when newborn!

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh wow! 4-5 pounds is really tiny! I think I may need to make some smaller sweaters... :lol:
The sweater pattern that I am going by is made for a small dog. I have never seen a baby goat in person so I am just trying to imagine how big they are.
If the sweater fits a chihuahua then will it most likely fit a newborn goat kid?
Thank you all for your input this far! I appriciate it! :)

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What breed of goats do you have? For the mini's I would say the chihuahua coay would be close to right on. and then for standards maybe a size small so like a yorkie I would say 6-9 pounds is average for a boer. I know I had a 5 pounder and a 10 1/2 pounder last year. It just depends.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I usually buy 0-3 mos. / 3-6 mos human baby-sized shirts to put on goats and just roll up the sleeves as needed....so if you get 'close' to those sizes you should be fine.

For boys, you want to sort of leave a gap in the belly area (I usually cut out a V shape) so they don't get pee-soaked. Girls' coats can be longer.

We had 2 pygmy kids born here, one was 4#, one was 5#. Our Nubians average 7.5#, boers 8#, but we've had kids from 3.5# all the way up to 14#.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Nigerian babies are anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds at birth.