How big of a preditor are Coons and opossums for rabbits?

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has experiance with opossums and/or racoons preying on thier rabbits. I know they will go after my chickens but have never read anything about them being a problem for rabbits.
I look forward to feedback

The lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, 7 kits and a lizard

KevsFarm

Just born
Reaction score
Hi Citylife...i have chickens also and plenty of racoons.I'm planning on starting soon with meat rabbits.Theres no doubt in my mind coons are a very serious threat to rabbits.Opossums probably aren't as much of a threat, but will likely kill a rabbit given the chance.
Many yrs ago , when i was a kid i raised New Zealand Whites,at least tried to, everytime i got a new rabbit, it would be dead within a few days, sometimes sooner.
I finally found out it was a weasel, the rabbit would be in perfect condition, except for a neat clean hole behind one of its ears...That weasel,and maybe others as well killed about two dozen rabbits, before i gave up rabbits. Never was able to catch them.Back in those days i didn't see many racoons, nor did they kill any of my rabbits.
But, i'm sure they are a major threat to rabbits that aren't housed properly.If they can get there grubby little paws through the cage wire, they'll try grabbing your rabbit. They can chew their way into a rabbit hutch as well,if not built strong enough.Good luck...