How can he weigh so little?

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had our Holstein steer weighed (well, we had the truck and trailer weighed, then came home and picked up the steer and had the truck trailer AND steer weighed) at the co-op. I don't think the weight can possibly be right?! But then it's the co-op, surely they are checked often?!

My question is...how much would you guess is the LEAST a HEALTHY 17-18 month old holstein steer should/could weigh if he's pastured in wooded area with round hay bails also available. I just can't see how he could possibly weigh as little as they say. According to the few growth charts I've looked at he should be about 950-990lbs.... he's not.
We do worm him(last year and again this summer). I'm worried there might be something wrong. :(

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much did he weigh? I never had Holsteins before, so I am not much help. Charts might not take into consideration variations in feed, genetics and growth, so don't be too alarmed.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
How much does he weigh, then? Like around 500 pounds?

What have you been feeding him? If internal parasites are not the issue, it could be what you're not feeding him, or what you're not feeding enough of. Holsteins are dairy cattle and have higher energy and protein requirements than beef cattle, so that might be part of your problem. But that's just a tentative guess.

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He was 580lbs. :( We listed him for sale online and one of the guys that called back insists that if he's that little at 18 months old(on the 6th of November) there must be something wrong with him. We did feed corn over the winter last year as it was VERY cold here(and I had access to a LOT of free corn from seed mill) but no corn since spring. Maybe he was just assuming that we'd heavily grain a steer before trying to sell it? He's always got access to a round bale if he's hungry and it's not as if he spends all day there eating as if he's starving. Still, I'm worried. I feel like the mom that has the child off the charts on the low side. I like to think that we treat our critters well and feed them plenty but now this has me so worried.

#edited to upload a pic of him.

Attachments

• 20141031_115432.jpg
    20141031_115432.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
He weighs more than 580 lbs
If you have just been feeding hay he May not weigh 990 lbs
But that steer weighs more than 580
And he looks healthy
Why are you selling him!
Take him to the slaughter house and they will tell you how much he weighs
Or they can tell you hanging weight

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I would say he is closer to 650-750# but remember, Holsteins are notoriously slow growers and more difficult to put weight on than beef cattle are.
You fed corn....was it whole, ground or cracked?
Whole corn has a poor digestibility value compared to rolled or cracked corn. Whole corn has a higher rumen bypass value, meaning that 50-60% of whole corn's protein is not broken down by bacteria in the rumen, but has to be processed in the lower intestine.
Corn can be fed whole with satisfactory results, but cracking or rolling prior to feeding will increase digestibility by 5 to 10% . In most instances, grinding or rolling corn will not markedly improve average daily gain, but proper processing will improve feed conversion efficiency. As the proportion of corn in the diet and the cost of corn increase, the benefits of processing also increase because corn is supplying a greater portion of the energy. When corn is fed whole, the animal must process the corn by mastication (chewing). Rolling or cracking corn for use in a mixed ration may also facilitate better mixing.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with the others that he's more than 580 lbs. He looks closer to ~700 lbs, and he looks to be in great shape. Though I'm just going to be reiterating what OneFineAcre and Greybeard said, Holsteins are terrible at converting feed to weight gain unlike with beefers. If he's not getting the energy he needs to grow or the level of protein, then he is going to stay little and not all that big as you want him to. I too would like to know if the corn has been processed or pulled from the mill as whole corn vs. rolled or cracked, because, as greybeard said, processing has a huge influence in the digestibility of the grain being fed. And how much corn have you been giving him? Also, what kind of hay is he being fed? Grass, grass-legume mix, legume?

I've had steers come off of summer pasture at 18 months old at ~900 lbs, and these were real beefers like Charolais, Angus, Hereford and the lot. As a dairy animal he's not going to gain as efficiently or as well as beef cattle are and is going to take near twice the amount of feed to get him up to par, so if you're going to keep him for the freezer, either have him slaughtered now so you can get a more accurate weight, or keep him for another year so that he's at a better butcher weight of around 1200 lbs, with a better feeding program to fatten him up.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it were me if he is 18 months old now I would feed cracked corn and invest another 3 months on the corn and then slaughter

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since winter and the resulting COLD weather is coming which will cause him to expend more energy to keep warm vs. putting on weight, If it was me, I would slaughter it now and save my feed money to buy a beef calf to feed out.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since winter and the resulting COLD weather is coming which will cause him to expend more energy to keep warm vs. putting on weight, If it was me, I would slaughter it now and save my feed money to buy a beef calf to feed out.
That is a valid point
But having just been fed hay
3 months of corn and he would taste so much better though:)

Last edited: