How can I avoid this?

Heinrich

Just born
Reaction score
I cleared my backyard to grow some chickens. I have almost 20 chickens here. Now I am facing some issues with leaking pipes and drain system. You may think that is the relation between a stagnant water and chickens. As a newbie to this forum, I need to clear a doubt. Contaminated water creates odour and I am not supposed to stay in the yard. I find it very difficult to feed the chickens. I have to seek the help of best plumbing services in Calgary to resolve the problem. My chickens are in that stagnant water.
Do this contaminated water create any health issues in chickens? Last week, I lost a couple of chickens. The stagnant water with the foul smell is disturbing. How can I avoid this? I had been spending a lot of money on plumbing. So I need a better solution for this problems. I have read an article that says stagnant water can be a threat to our pets. We should not allow our pets to drink from the stagnant contaminated water. The cells of the algae or bacteria in this water can also latch onto your pet’s fur that enters there body when they clean their fur. You may think it as a strange topic, but I think this can be the reason for chickens lost.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. I don't think it's good for any animal to live in/stay continuously in, stagnant/polluted water. Where is this water coming from? Is it a water main issue? or a septic issue? Typically "stagnant water" doesn't develop an odor unless it's there for quite some time, or if it's not actually "water" and has waste contamination of some sort in it. Have you identified/fixed the leak problem? If so, the water should eventually evaporate or wick into the ground. In all my time with animals, I have yet to be able to "stop them" from drinking from the nastiest water they can find... :sick Even though I provide nice clean water, invariably, they'll find a puddle and drink from that instead. As for specific chicken issues, have you visited the sister site? https://www.backyardchickens.com/

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a coop to put the chickens up in until you resolve this issue? If not, perhaps you could put up a temporary fence of some sort to keep them out of the stagnant water.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
1. Ditch the water off away from your yard.
2. Build up the grade of your yard so it slopes down and the water runs off your yard.
3. Put in a french drain yourself.
4. Fix the leaks.

(I sure hope this isn't another case of spam to advertise for a plumbing company)

Heinrich

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions and replies. I will surely look into it.

Heinrich

Just born
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. I don't think it's good for any animal to live in/stay continuously in, stagnant/polluted water. Where is this water coming from? Is it a water main issue? or a septic issue? Typically "stagnant water" doesn't develop an odor unless it's there for quite some time, or if it's not actually "water" and has waste contamination of some sort in it. Have you identified/fixed the leak problem? If so, the water should eventually evaporate or wick into the ground. In all my time with animals, I have yet to be able to "stop them" from drinking from the nastiest water they can find... :sick Even though I provide nice clean water, invariably, they'll find a puddle and drink from that instead. As for specific chicken issues, have you visited the sister site? https://www.backyardchickens.com/
Thank you for recommending the site