How can I control biting fly's on my donkeys and goats

akamoot

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I've been spending a small fortune on trying different products to control/kill the fly's that are really causing my donkeys and goats more then discomfort. I've had them bite me and they hurt!
Can anyone recommend something that works? I would like something that I can spray on their legs and also that could be dispersed via a fogger ... if possible, same way I can fog for mosquitoes. Also, something that comes in a concentrate to cut down the expense.
Permethrin 10 - I've wet the lower legs down... seen some fly's drop, but they seem to come right back. Others just keep biting!
Nature's Force Organic Knockdown and 24 hour control - Expensive and not good results.
Gordon's Fly Spray (Aqueous) - Claims kill on contact... not... again, no good results.
HELP!
0515181907-01.jpg

Last edited:

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use pyrona or some spelling of it the donkey u will have to do every couple of days they make a rain proof one

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us though I'm sorry the insect issue brought you here. I have no solution to offer right off the top of my head. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Maybe you'll find something there? If you scan down to the bottom of this screen, there are links to some threads that share this topic in some way.

Please consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Hope you enjoy the site!

Dawnclucks22

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This thing works wonders: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rescue-F...34491&wl11=online&wl12=17134651&wl13=&veh=sem

We got two and in a few days the flies decreased dramatically. Of course it is meant to attract them to the trap itself though so try placing it away from where you won't be very often - but other than that it works very well. It's worth the try. Maybe that will stop future ones from coming to your donkeys...

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use Permetrin10 with good results on my cattle as does my nearest neighbor with his horses. Horn and heel flies and mosquitoes but I've never used a fogger, just direct spray from a backpack sprayer or 35 gallon sprayer. I wet 'em down all over except in the face and avoid the teats and reproductive areas most of the time. Depending how bad the flies are, it lasts about 12 days. Follow the directions on the bottle. Don't quote me on this, but I think it's 1.3oz Permetrin/gal of water for a bad infestation or one part Perm10 concentrate per 99 parts water. Half that concentration if a mild fly infestation--.64 oz Perm10 /gal water or 1 part per 199 parts.
Have also had good luck using the same insecticide on a rub, mixed with crop oil or diesel. 1/2 pint in 5 gal of oil. Saturate the rub, but it won't do much for the legs of an animal as tall as a horse.

M neighbor and I both put out Rabon IGR blocks early spring, to control the number of flies hatching out of the manure. You MUST start this protocol early tho..before the flies appear.

1. Rabon®: An oral feed through larvicide that kills fly larvae of all four fly species – horn flies, face flies, house flies, and stable flies. Rabon does not cause any insect resistance issues after prolonged feeding and remains active for up to six weeks. Rabon is EPA approved for beef cattle, lactating dairy cows, horses and swine. Rabon has no environmental issues and does not harm soil, water, plants, or beneficial insects such as dung beetles.

Latest posts