How close is she to giving birth?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have any idea when she was exposed to a buck? Has she been nursing kids and not dried off yet? If she was dried off when exposed, then from the looks of her udder, she's got a little ways to go yet. Does' udders generally start developing within 30 days or so before freshening.

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
udders aren't always that reliable.. some fill just immediately prior to birthing.. the best way is guesstimate when she was exposed to buck and then check the ligaments running along side her tail bone.. when they are literally gone and it feels really mushy around that area you are usually within hours of birth.. if you know your goat well you may be able to pick up subtle signs too.. i.e. mild labor contractions, look in eyes, mild discomfort, grunting or talking to sides, restlessness, pawing at ground/making nest etc.. but check the tail ligaments daily.. and if softening up get ready.

Andrew C.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I watched my doe quite closely for about 3 1/2 weeks before she finally gave birth"because I got the date wrong", and her udder kinda looked like that with a couple of weeks to go, last couple of days the teats filled out to a kinda tight cone shape.

Oh yeah it was the restlessnes and pawing the ground looking for a spot that gave mine away.

Cheers GL

Latest posts