Votes: 3 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Odds and Ears

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I debated milking her, but I think it will be very stressful because of how skittish she is. She kidded Tuesday night and her bag was never very tight and it is already beginning to go down. I had to assist with the first kid because it’s head was sideways and it’s legs were back. I tried to revive the second kid but I couldn’t get him to breathe. I’m gonna give her a little break and then rebreed her back to my buck. The kids were both very tiny as well. I would guess about a pound each but I never actually weighed them.

ED767EF6-84FC-437E-A7D3-D27E1DE40F83.jpeg C67D52FF-1EAD-46E3-916E-A53A72815EB2.jpeg 6C336DE8-52B9-45F2-90CC-CE37A39562C1.jpeg

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about the kids :hit:hugs
Not a great way to start the year :(

Was the dam wormed with valbazen while pregnant?

Odds and Ears

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So sorry about the kids :hit:hugs
Not a great way to start the year :(

Was the dam wormed with valbazen while pregnant?
She wasn’t wormed with valbazen while I’ve had her, but I bought her in October and she wasn’t supposed to be bred so I’m not totally sure. The kids body was also very jelly and she had a very small/pinched looking nose. She also appeared to have no actual eyeballs, just a weird blood pocket where her eyes should be. I’m a little disappointed, but I’m just glad I was able to get the kid out and that the Doe is alright. When would you suggest putting her with my buck to rebreed her? She is about 14-15 months old right now.

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m sorry that you lost the kids.
I would give her at least a month, preferably two or more, before rebreeding her.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would give her longer.
First the stress of labor and delivery and hormones does cause a parasitic bloom which will increase between 3-6 weeks. Even if the goat was dewormed 30 days prior to kidding, the hormones can cause a big bloom .
Second you will want to make sure her udder doesn't get congested or mastitis. It would be great if you could milk her and then you could allow her body to heal but still have a bit of milk. You may have to relieve some pressure. You do that by milking some out using good milking practices, just don't milk all they way- this way the body knows to not make more and more. Always treat teats after milking or expressing. Orifices need to close so no bacteria gets in.
Third, because you got her and she wasn't even suppose to be bred and something was terribly wrong you want to make sure she is in tip top health. Making sure her Selenium levels are good, copper, cobalt... and minerals in general.
Birth defects do happen without a "reason", but making sure her uterus is healed, she has complete health is best.

I would say a minimum of 3 months. Longer is better.

I am glad your doe is okay. Always sad to lose kids but the dam making it is IMO the most important thing.

Debbie

Just born
Reaction score
Please don't be checking your doe for milk in the future. They have a little plug that keeps them from leaking. If you cause this plug to come out they can leak out the much-needed first milk the babies need. I'm sorry you lost the kids.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss! As for rebreeding, I'd definitely wait several months. My doe was rebred again shortly after kidding with twins in March of 2017. She had a doeling, and she was quite small. While both mother and kid are doing great, I am really careful and watchful now. If a doe is rebred too soon after kidding, it can really deplete their bodies and shorten their lifespan over time. Good luck with the next pregnancy!