How close to lambing is my dorper ewe?

AimeeDx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
We brought 3 dorper ewes, 2 are 12 months old and 1 is around 3 and a half months old.
The two older ones were purchased as probably pregnant. We have had the little over one month, and in the past 2 weeks, her belly has appeared to hang lower (drop?) and her udder is starting to bag up nicely.
How long do you guys think it will be until she gives birth?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hopefully more experienced folks will happen along because I'm a bad guesser. :)

We have some that bagged up over a month before lambing and a couple that had no bag at all the day before they lambed.

Pretty sheep though.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It can be hard to tell. This ewe rivaled a dairy goat for an udder for a MONTH.....drove me crazy. I took this the day before she lambed, but seriously, she looked like she was squeezing a volley ball for weeks and weeks before she finally popped out twins!

ewe-nique-udder-jpg.25374

AimeeDx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!
I always heard that it just depends on the ewe, some sheep down the road had a little bit smaller udder than her right before they lambed, so I check twice a day for a lamb just in case!
Thanks Mike, These are my first sheep, so i'm probably a worse guesser than you! :)
Such a big udder there BayMule! I would think that was a goat too!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Now remember, when she has her lamb(s), we're gonna need pictures! :thumbsup

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would say a few more weeks at least. But as others mentioned they can wait to bag up right at lambing or even afterwards. However from my experience which is limited I would say she has at least two weeks yet :) I used to have a dorper ewe and seeing your girls brings back so many memories, I wish you the best of luck!

AimeeDx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Today Woolimina, (the ewe) gave birth to a single girl.
She had a very easy birth, it only took around 45 minutes.
The little baby has drunk lots, and is already bouncing around!
We called her Bailey (its a pun name, as in Baa-iley)
I just have a question, Woolimina keeps on pawing the ground where it is slanted, as if to make it flat, then calls Bailey over, and lays on it, but sometimes just keeps walking. Is this actually making the ground flat for her baby, or is she in pain?
Thanks, Aimee.
As Requested, here's some photos of the little one:

IMG_4967.JPG
IMG_4979.JPG
IMG_4979.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4967.JPG

AimeeDx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, just realised some of the pictures came out twice, sorry!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's ok, we like seeing them twice! My ewes paw out a spot for their lambs to lie in. But this one had other ideas....

mirandas-lamb-2016-jpg.25034

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if she hasn't passed the after birth yet I would think that is the reason she is pawing. if she has passed it then maybe she will have another lamb. the uterus continues to contract after lambing in order to expel the afterbirth. the sucking /nursing of the lamb causes a hormone in the body to be produced which induces uterine contractions to expel the afterbirth. expelling the afterbirth is actually stage three of labor. the birth of the offspring is stage two. passing the afterbirth can take up to 4 hours. vitamin E helps the body utilize selenium, selenium helps the uterus clean out the afterbirth.