How do i bond with an almost adult goat?

Magenta

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have four goats,two of them are babies and are bottle fed, they have no problems running to me and trusting me, the other two are almost adults and males, I want them to trust me before they get their horns. How do I get them to trust me?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us.
the other two are almost adults and males, I want them to trust me before they get their horns.
OK, a few things here... what breed are the goats, and what age is "almost adult"? Firstly, if they are almost adults (>1 year) and they don't have horns, they aren't going to have horns. It's referred to as being "polled". They may have nubs/bumps but they don't generally grow to more than an inch or so. Goats start growing their horns at days old. By 2-3 months of age, they are readily visible and unmistakable. Second, you say they are males... Are they neutered? If you have no intention of breeding with them, you should definitely consider neutering/castration. they will be much more mellow, and during the rut, much LESS stinky. There should also be a lot less fighting. Since you say they are almost adults, I might suggest vet interaction for this. Third, if the two "babies" are doelings/females, you must keep them separated from the bucks (non neutered) by the time they reach ~8 weeks as they can become fertile starting at that age (breed dependent). If you don't, you run the very real threat of your babies getting knocked up and having babies, which could kill them as they are too small/young. OK... that being said,

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Latest posts