How Do I Bring Up Protein Levels?

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a sweet horse feed that is 12% protein. I want to supplement with sunflower seeds to bring that percentage up to 16%. Does anyone know how I can calculate this?

Appreciate it guys! Thanks!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
http://extension.colostate.edu/topi...lating-rations-with-the-pearson-square-1-618/

You'd have to know the protein content of the sunflower seeds. Wikipedia says it's about 21%, and that appears to be for seeds without the shells. A quick googling gives anywhere from 9 to 13% protein for seeds with the shells. That's too low to bring the horse feed up to 16%.

Using the pearson square, sunflower seeds with no shell:
5 pounds of your horse feed, and 4 pounds of sunflower seeds would give you a mix that contains 16% protein.

You might be better off using something with higher protein to mix with. Alfalfa pellets have 17 to 19% protein, and would be less expensive than sunflower seeds. Soybean meal has 43 to 49% protein (although my sheep didn't like it). You might also try to find a feed that's higher than 12%.

Why are you wanting to bring up the protein percent?

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
http://extension.colostate.edu/topi...lating-rations-with-the-pearson-square-1-618/

You'd have to know the protein content of the sunflower seeds. Wikipedia says it's about 21%, and that appears to be for seeds without the shells. A quick googling gives anywhere from 9 to 13% protein for seeds with the shells. That's too low to bring the horse feed up to 16%.

Using the pearson square, sunflower seeds with no shell:
5 pounds of your horse feed, and 4 pounds of sunflower seeds would give you a mix that contains 16% protein.

You might be better off using something with higher protein to mix with. Alfalfa pellets have 17 to 19% protein, and would be less expensive than sunflower seeds. Soybean meal has 43 to 49% protein (although my sheep didn't like it). You might also try to find a feed that's higher than 12%.

Why are you wanting to bring up the protein percent?
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Why don't you just buy goat feed that is 16% ?
I am trying to find non-gmo feed...that isn't $36 a bag. There is a feed mill near me that has a horse sweet feed but it is 12% protein. He also mills roasted soybean. According to Pearson Square, if I got a bag of that off him and mixed it 16% soybean and 84% sweet feed, then I would hit my 16% mark.

Latest posts