How do I cage my rabbits efficiently?

TheRabbitNewbee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I personally like rabbit tractors. They are not much more if any more expensive than a regular cage and require less cleaning. The rabbits get to run more and the fertilize my lawn! Also I spend less $$$ feeding them. I find almost no disadvantages to them. And as a added plus I get to see rabbits happily grazing from my window

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Tractors have some advantages. I wouldn't have any less than 10 weeks old or so on free range. Domestics are a long ways from wild rabbits and there is a high risk of diarrhea in the young with too many fresh/green foods. Generally deadly. I'd also consider worming the them regularly--particularly if there are wild rabbits in the area. I don't know what kind of contact domestics would need with feral to get tularemia.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I saw something on youtube the other day that really made sense. When I cut wire recently, I used a small pair of tin snips, other than leaving sharp edges, it will wear your hands out cutting the baby saver small wire. Anyway, this guy was building cages and used an angle grinder, which just ripped through the wire and he said it kept it from having sharp edges because you could sand them right off after. It certainly took a lot less time than using wire cutters!
I prefer top opening cages too, I have 2 side opening and the doors are small, so kind of have to wedge the rabbits out of them even though they are good sized cages, whereas my top open (which is actually an exercise pen for puppies I got off CL with 1"x 1/2" wire across the bottom that I put on with J Clips) is a lot easier to remove rabbits from directly from the top. The only problem is that the ex pen is tall and I'm short, so if they get toward the back it's harder for me the grab them, I zip tied the side door closed because it doesn't secure that well and there's no way I can reach all the way back from it. My next build will certainly be shorter in height, this was one of those "Wait I already have this and could make it work" ideas.

SavannahLeigh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I keep my rabbit kits (ages 4 weeks and up) in a camper shell enclosed truck bed. It's well ventilated, and they have TONS of room to run!!