how do I catch my calf

whildefire

Just born
Reaction score
My husband and I have a beefalo cow who has a three week old calf. We moved the cow to our winter pasture thinking the calf would follow the mama too. But the calf did not follow the mama so now we need to catch the calf and bring it up to the winter pasture. Don't know if the calf is a him or her. The little bugger is fast though and is not used to grain or treats yet so can't get it to come to the bucket of feed. don't know how to lasso it either. it does not have a halter on. closest I got to it was about five feet. need help and suggestions on how to catch the baby. :idunno

I am new to the group and our farm is in Vermont. Help.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! I'm from VT, too. Can you run the cow back into the pasture with the calf, let them hang out for a few minutes (but not long enough for the calf to get a full belly, just a taste), and then see if he'll go with his mama? They tend to lose a little stubborn if they get hungry enough. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Boondocks

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
you can slowly walk behind the baby if you can get a few people together spread out behind the baby make sure its facing the way it needs to go before you start moving. start slowly walking behind the baby it might take all day to push it where it needs to go. if it starts to go the way you don't want it to then back off and let it settle down and try again. If that doesn't work then let mom back in with the baby for a day once the baby knows it needs to be with its mom then move mom back up to the other pasture the baby should follow.

Latest posts