How do I get rid of the cows?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 'cows' to the left of each forum section do the same function as on the old forum - they are there if there are unread posts since the last time I was here?

So far, every section still has a cow to the left. On the old forum, there was a way to 'mark all posts as read', but I can't find that option here. Will I have to click on each and every post in an entire section to get that cow to go away?

And somewhat related - what's the difference between 'recent posts' and 'new posts'? Sometimes they bring up the same things, sometimes they bring up totally different posts.

Thank you!

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Recent posts are the most recent postings on any thread.

If we are looking at the same tabs new relates to new threads.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
You may need to mark all the forums as read:
upload_2013-11-13_16-0-37.png

After you do that, all the cows should go away until new posts are made. If not, let us know.

(this assumes you are logged in)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The "cows" next to the forums indicate that there are unread posts.

Recent posts - posts in the last 2 weeks or so.
New posts - new posts since your last visit or since you last marked all forums read.

Personally I navigate through the "New Posts". I read what I want / need to and then mark all forums read. That way when I want to see what new has been posted it's clearly there in new posts.

Last edited:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found it! I didn't have the same menu bar as in Nifty's post - on mine, directly under Forums, it says 'search forums', not 'mark forums read'.

However, on the same line as 'search forums', I also have 'watched forums', 'watched threads', 'new posts', and then three little dots. If I rest my mouse on the three little dots, a drop-down box saying 'mark forums read' appears.

So, I can go to any forum (for example, 'Breeds and Breeding - sheep'), and rest my mouse on those three little dots, and click on the 'mark forums read', and it will ask me if I want to mark 'Breeds and Breeding - Sheep' read, or mark all the forums as read - so I can mark individual forms read again!

Thank you everyone for the replies and help.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found it! I didn't have the same menu bar as in Nifty's post - on mine, directly under Forums, it says 'search forums', not 'mark forums read'.

However, on the same line as 'search forums', I also have 'watched forums', 'watched threads', 'new posts', and then three little dots. If I rest my mouse on the three little dots, a drop-down box saying 'mark forums read' appears.

So, I can go to any forum (for example, 'Breeds and Breeding - sheep'), and rest my mouse on those three little dots, and click on the 'mark forums read', and it will ask me if I want to mark 'Breeds and Breeding - Sheep' read, or mark all the forums as read - so I can mark individual forms read again!

Thank you everyone for the replies and help.
Hey,
Thanks for asking that question. You get a "like" for that.
I just marked them all read, so I'm starting from scratch.
Good job.