How do I get these rabbits on their back?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
As a person who just breeds for personal use, is that what you are doing, Doubled?
If so, that's what I do and I also do not see a point in flipping them all the way on their backs. That's why I just roll them onto their sides, you can reach all you need to, but it's easier and safer if the rabbit freaks out.
You'd want to get to their underside if they hurt themselves, to clean their bum, brush them or check if the buck hit the right spot, etc.
But if you are showing and all that, then that's all about making the rabbits all clean and neat and judges need to flip them. Not much point to a full flip for personal meat buns and the such.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When it's necessary to turn them on their backs here's how I do it. First be sure you are wearing a long sleeved shirt thick enough so they can't rake you. Rabbits don't claw like cats, they just rake so it doesn't take much to protect you. Hold them on your lap with the rump away from you. When you turn them over use your forarms to control the front feet and the backs of your hands to control the back feet. You then have your fingers free to manipulate as necessary. If you get a particularly rambuctious rabbit you can also wear thin driving gloves to protect your hands. Driving gloves don't interfere with your actions as much as heavier gloves and they are usually all that is needed to protect you.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono said:
As a person who just breeds for personal use, is that what you are doing, Doubled?
If so, that's what I do and I also do not see a point in flipping them all the way on their backs. That's why I just roll them onto their sides, you can reach all you need to, but it's easier and safer if the rabbit freaks out.
You'd want to get to their underside if they hurt themselves, to clean their bum, brush them or check if the buck hit the right spot, etc.
But if you are showing and all that, then that's all about making the rabbits all clean and neat and judges need to flip them. Not much point to a full flip for personal meat buns and the such.
I raise for meat and I don't flip mine in lap or on table. I DO flip into my arm, so that I am holding them on their back like a baby, with their head near my elbow, lower than their rump. That is how I hold them to check sex and readiness to breed on does. I use the hand on the underneath arm to grasp tail and hold, then my free hand to pull back on top of genitals to see them. I also use this position to check teeth, eyes, nose, forepaws for matting, back feet for sore hocks, etc. I find it works well. None of mine like to be flipped onto a flat surface.

Shannon

Tab003

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Place the rabbit in front of you with the head towards your belly. Using your non-dominant hand grip the ears and shoulders. At the same time, place your dominant hand on the animals rump. Lift the animal with your dominant hand at the rump and bring the rump toward your belly while guiding the front of the animal up and away from you, keeping a firm grip on the ears. If you lose your grip on the ears, the animal WILL turn over.

You can now rest the weight of your animal on the floor in front of you or on a table with a proper surface. Continue holding the ears in a firm grip and maintain a slight pressure on the shoulders. This will reassure the animal as you examine it and keep it from injuring either itself or you.

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hold the ears and the but , wear gloves if you have to, and do it often

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
2seth2 said:
I thought it really wasn't a good idea to hold rabbits by their ears. Possibly damaging them. Gloves are good idea though when you first start out. As the suggestions of long sleeved shirts. And doing it often helps you bond with your bunny. Dobby and Kreacher have no problems now. No gloves needed or long sleeved shirts. Check their nails, teeth. Just needed practice. And I've never held them by their ears. Were you thinking the scruff of the neck? :)

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
2seth2 said:
I thought it really wasn't a good idea to hold rabbits by their ears. Possibly damaging them. Gloves are good idea though when you first start out. As the suggestions of long sleeved shirts. And doing it often helps you bond with your bunny. Dobby and Kreacher have no problems now. No gloves needed or long sleeved shirts. Check their nails, teeth. Just needed practice. And I've never held them by their ears. Were you thinking the scruff of the neck? :)
small rabits you can't hold the ears but big rabbits no problem

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
I have large rabbits and the person I bought mine from said if you do a football hold ( head and front legs) hidden like you would carry a football makes them feel secure and you are less apt to get scratched. if you scruff at the neck it only gives you about a minute docility. IMHO
practice is all I can say

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Some interesting replies here... I suppose there are a million ways to accomplish one thing :D

My method is to hold the rabbit up to my body with it's heat towards my neck, and rump towards my belly. I then grip the rabbit at the back of the neck/base of the ears (if possible I get a little scruff just for security and a good hold). Then I just roll the bun backwards resting it's back along my forearm and securing the rump against my body. I am a petite 5'2" and this works for me on anything from my mini-satin to the giant chinchillas. I use this method to check the teeth, belly, paws, hocks and nether-regions for both sexing and routine checks.

I have found that most of my rabbits HATE being flipped and rested on a table. I tried that with my giant chins when I was first getting used to handling them and they almost always freaked when their back/rump hit the table. I do not trim nails with the rabbit flipped though, so not sure if the way I do it would work for that as it only leaves one hand free. I trim nails with the bunny just sitting on my lap or, if it is a difficult rabbit, I have DH hold them.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
2seth2 said:
I don't think he means holding as in "carrying" by the ears. That is definitely harmful to the rabbit. I have seen folks do as he said, just put their hand around the ears and hold on to them as you are rolling them back. This is with the ears laying down flat on the back...