How do I keep the gate closed?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ok, we have nearly finished installing lots of fencing and also lots of gates.

I am not sure how to install a gate latch or hardware to shut the gates...

I am including a pic of one of the gates.

Does anyone know of specific hardware I can purchase to latch the gates shut? I prefer to not drill holes through the tubing if at all possible.

I realize some gates have a piece of metal welded on them for a chain. Is there any other way to attach a gate latch?

Thank you!
Gate 1.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love our sure latch! We are going to get a few more. Some will be the one way latch.

@chiques chicks we did that for years and it is awful! Bringing hay in and then trying to chain it back up while goats dogs chickens etc are all right there is terrible.

It also makes it so much easier when there is an issue. When there is an emergency I don't have time to mess with a dag-gone stupid chain. ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
what @Southern by choice says, but I still use chains many places and I hate them. There are some flat back latches you can buy; like dog kennels use and then part of the latch goes on the wood post. But it will only work it the gate and post are the correct distance apart.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule LOL you wouldn't if you had 20-30 spoiled rotten goats climbing on you. ;)

For us it has made a big difference. I think we use our gates more than most. I am fanatical about spotless water buckets so I don't use a trough. I use 5-2 gallon buckets and 1-5 gallon bucket just for the front field that has 3 dogs and 10 milkers. Scrubbed daily with soap and bleach. Filled and changed out every two hours... Each field has at least 4 of these buckets... that is alot of in and out with hands full.
Add to that bringing in hay 2x day, chaff 1xday & milking 2x day... feeding dogs 1x day... then just time with goats and dogs...

I hated the chain so much I would just climb over have the time or lower buckets over the top etc. Such a pain.

I am into making things easier and faster.

Except for water buckets :lol:

I waited toooooo long to get the latches. I can honestly say it was some of the best $$ ever spent.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should be a sales person for the latches....... now I have to try one, then two.....you see where this is going? BTW, I use buckets for sheep water too.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use auto waterers and a toilet brush. With 40 goats in the 110° days of summer I would have to live out there if I used buckets. Only the kidding pens have buckets. But I still hate the chains

Latest posts