How do I keep the gate closed?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas and suggestions.

Wow, this BYH is a wonderful community of people. Being a city slicker and knowing next to nothing about any type of farming or ranching, I have learned so much from people here.

Most of what I have learned I wouldn't have been able to figure out in hundreds of years!

Awesome group of people here!

Thanks again and I would like to say a special thanks for all who took the time and effort to post pictures of the various types of latches, the pros and cons of these latches, and what they look like.

I am posting a pic of the first gate latch I have ever installed and it works like a charm!

View attachment 18720
Good job Soar... by installing the latch with the two bolts above and below the gate's cross member NO self driling screw in the middle of the latch is needed. If ou would have installed the latch eather above or below the cross bar... YES you would have to put a screw in.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't you love it! :weee

Yes, I do! Sure beats spending 30+ seconds tying and untying the hay nylon string every time!

Make sure you drill and put a set screw through that hole on the gate side clasp. That will keep the whole clasp from turning if pressure is placed against the gate.

Thanks LS. I wanted to avoid having to drill a hole in the cattle panel if at all possible, but I see your point.

Good job Soar... by installing the latch with the two bolts above and below the gate's cross member NO self driling screw in the middle of the latch is needed. If ou would have installed the latch eather above or below the cross bar... YES you would have to put a screw in.

Um, not so sure about that...I think the latch could still swivel if a large animal bumped into it.

:clap Good eye there Boss! I wasn't paying close enough attention! :old

I am thinking I may drill a hole from both sides, then install a bolt, aviation lock nut, with two washers...

We cannot afford the sheep escaping...

Latest posts