How do I know when to butcher?

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Heritage breeds don't mean small hogs.

We have had Hereford hogs, Red Wattle and Large black/Berkshire. If you want a BIG hog and lard, look for Large Blacks.
I understand, my boar is a hampshire and gilts are berkshire/yorkshire cross and over 300 lbs they start layering the lard thats when i just feed corn and weeds through the fall. Have considered the large black how are they for taste that big.

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I feed mine dry, trying to buy non gmo from amish in the area, got to be careful though you can be told anything for a sale sometimes. I'm looking to the future for spring stock need 3 new zealand white does breeding age, 1 hampshire boar 3 mos, 2 large black gilts 3 mos, 3 dorset ewes, 4 Dec or Jan alpine does to graze and then breed in fall, willing to trade 5 year jersey cow 2nd lactation and/or 5 mo jersey heifer. Around Mercer PA 80 miles.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed my pigs free feed pellets and soured corn. About 4-6 weeks before slaughter, I stop the pellets and feed the soured corn. I also give them boiled eggs. A day before we load them up, I don't feed them. We back up the trailer, open the gate. I smush a couple of boiled eggs for them to get the scent and toss them in the trailer. Pigs hop in to eat the eggs, shut gate.

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
39DDA39C-3633-4B38-B7B7-5CD041B6728A.jpeg
43FBB1DC-219B-4020-842A-0D68FF365CD6.jpeg
Finally here is a picture of my pigs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They sure look nice! You want to shoot for 250-280 pounds.

Will you keep the offal, heart, liver, kidneys? I can it in quart jars with a cup of COOKED rice for the dogs. They love it mixed with their kibble.

You can also keep the fat and render it. Lard is great for cooking.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made lard, it wasn't hard to do. Here is a link to the thread I posted on SS. Do you do any canning? Have a pressure canner or water bath canner? I will be glad to answer any questions you have and help you. I use the lard in place of shortening for pastry, dinner rolls or today I made muffins and the recipe called for shortening. I also use it for frying food or for stir fry. There is no piggy taste.

https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/lard.15789/

Latest posts