How do I know???

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am new to this and we bought/rescued 2 ewes and once we got them sheered last weekend we found out for sure they are preg!! Well one is due soon and the other in about 2 weeks. My question is how do you know when she is going to have it?? She isn't eating any corn just occasionally munches on hay. She hasn't eaten ALL day!! No interest in it. Shes moving around the penned in area but kinda slowly. She comes up to me about as much as she always does but is she really close?? Is this normal???

My gosh this is nerve racking!! :hu :barnie

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are some links that might help?

http://www.sheep101.info/201/lambingprocess.html

http://www.ukagriculture.com/livestock/sheep_lambing.cfm

And an article:

How do I know when a ewe is ready to lamb?
No two ewes manifest the same signs. Some wander off to a far corner
of a pasture, or find a corner of the barn. Some will go off food.
Most will `drop' as the position of the uterus shifts lower in their
bodies, and hollow areas appear in their flanks; this is sometimes
hard to see in older ewes, who are `dropped' most of the time. Ewes
usually `bag out' as milk develops in the udder within a day or two of
lambing. As the ewe goes into labor, she may paw the ground as if
digging a nest, and is often restless, getting up, circling or moving
to a new spot, lying down, and repeating the cycle. As she moves
further into labor, you can see contractions, the water (amnion) will
often break, and she may grit her teeth in pain.

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow--

I have been searching the internet for information and then POP there it is!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you. :bow She all of a sudden has really started to "bag out". Only one side looked developed and now both are and they look really full but she doesn't look like anything has dropped but she has had those hollows but not baby protruding on the sides so I think a single. I can't wait to head to the pen this morning!! Maybe a baby??!! :weee

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep us updated and please tell us about the "signs" you noticed that your girl exhibits? :)

I won't be having my first lambs until next spring, so it will help me to hear from someone who has been there recently.

And pics? We LOVE pics! :D

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well still no baby, but she finally ate some corn tonight. I tell ya this is murder!! :barnie It would be so much easier if I had actually bred her then I would at least know how many days it has been. This is Freckles that we are thinking is going to lamb first but Maggie is plumping out nicely. She looks...I'm sorry sweetheart but...FAT!!! I would never say that around her of course. :duc ;)

I will get pics of the babies as soon as they happen, I will be the proud granny showing off her pics. :lol:

Thanks to everyone who has given me advise and tips. I will definitely let you all know if I figure anything out. :thumbsup

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am so excited for you! I can't wait! BTW, did you mention what types of sheep they are? Do you know what they are bred with? Do you anticipate mulitple births? (Twins etc.)

I want lambs too, I just have middle aged sheep. :/

Gotta get a ram! Gotta get a ram! :he

Good luck to you and your moms to be!!!!! Please know we are all waiting with baited breath for the results. :pop

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on any of our animals by any means....
but I know that when any of our girls were getting close to delivery they looked as if they had aliens living inside them.....
You know those aliens that push out only ONE side of the stomach. Those aliens that are on the left side, but then all the sudden the right side moves....
those aliens that just don't make the momma's to be look normal...lol

well when I would start seeing those aliens it was usually within 1 week that the girls would have the babies...(sheep, goats, pigs, llamas)....
I honestly never was out there for any of the girls to have the babies though (other than 1 ewe that had complications, and another one who we thought was done when she had twins and all the sudden threw a triplet)....but I would notice them starting to paw at the ground, getting up and down, cutting back on eatting, making nickering noises to those little aliens in their tummies,
also seen some changes in the utters, but not always. same with right above their tails where it would sink in a bit.
When I would start noticing these things, I knew it was getting close, but still I was NEVER out there for the big event...might of went off and fed other animals, ran in the house to get the birthing kits if needed, or for what ever reason just didn't happen to be in teh barn.....
I guess I would watch your girls for awhile...
if you have a birthing area(lambing/goat jug) I would make sure thats set up. We always had the girls in a 'birthing area' different then the jugs we would put them in later with the babies. Then they would go into a 'nursery' area after the babies and moms bonded for a few days.....

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wish I had a set up like that! I only have one proper pen for such things. The breed cross I have are easily lambed while in the field (I don't have much of a field here....an acre+ maybe) and I am breeding for warmer weather during birthing, so I doubt if I get to witness any birthings.

I want to see how they do lambing in the field, as I've read about. Since they rarely go out of my sight, I could easily visualize them if they look to be having problems.

If I had to contain both sheep in separate pens at that time, I suppose I could implement any empty hay storage shed adjacent to the pen. Well, it should be empty of hay at that time.

Jenn, hope you get to see the lambings and take pics! :)

BBH, you could borrow a ram like I am doing. I offered a stud fee but they wouldn't hear of it. I bet you could find someone who would let you borrow a ram and breed your girls in December for spring lambs.

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 3 separate pens now. We have one the girls sleep in and one the boys sleep in and the spare one my DH just put together for the new moms. He keeps loosing more and more space. ;) He doesn't mind though.

Thanks for more things to look for. They don't have "aliens" yet so I might have a day or so. :) I just don't want my goat picking on the baby before I get home. My goat thinks he is ruler and protector of me. He doesn't like the ladies to get too friendly with me. I just hope he isn't a butt head if this happens while I am gone.

Thanks again ;)