1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

How do I socialize my 5 month old steer?

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Cattle' started by omg_sob, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Oct 3, 2017
    omg_sob

omg_sob Ridin' The Range

Hi all, trying to determine if I'm doing this right! I have him in a 24x12 pen with hay and water. I go in 2 to 3x a day to pet and hang out with him. I bring a little sweet feed at times too.

I stay at one end of the pen and call him as I shake the feed. Hey will slowly approach. I can feed by hand or with the bucket. I can brush him, but he is pretty skittish and may pee or poop when I get near him.

Should I let him out into a bigger area and try to coax and call him or shud I stay in small area till he comes more freely?

He has a rope halter on that I can pick up, but he doesn't come to me or walk to me freely.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Oct 3, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

Bayleaf Meadows Loving the herd life

@OneFineAcre - I remember OFA posting that he would have liked his steers to be a little less friendly. A big animal can be dangerous without intending (push into you, step on you, etc.) No matter how well trained, you're never in control. What is your purpose in socializing him?

OneFineAcre likes this.
  3. Oct 3, 2017
    omg_sob

omg_sob Ridin' The Range

Hi Bayleaf,
    I forgot to include the fact that my cattle are all Minis, so we like to handle them and socialize them especially since we're not planning on eating them! My neice with Dorothy who is full grown.

Attached Files:

Bayleaf Meadows likes this.
  4. Oct 3, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

Such a beautiful animal! That makes a lot more sense!

5. Oct 3, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

Maybe you should sing or play an instrument. Cattle on youtube seem to be intrigued!

6. Oct 3, 2017
    WyndSyrin

WyndSyrin Chillin' with the herd

well you are on the right track I would say. I managed to coax three 2yr old heifers into letting me get near them and rub and scratch them where they can't reach. granted it took me nearly 6months to do so, but in the end it allowed me to be able to walk among them and even get close to their calves. They are still shy enough to warrant respect that they are still 1200 lbs animals. Best advice is be patient and keep doing what you are doing. All calves are different and will warm up to you at a different rate. Best thing you are doing is bringing food to him. This way he will equate you with food and positive interactions.

Keep up the good work

Bayleaf Meadows likes this.
  7. Oct 4, 2017
    cjc

cjc Loving the herd life

Grain. Grain makes them friendly. Tie him to a post, feed him grain, pet his head. Is he with other cows? He needs to socialize with other cows if you want him to be friendly.