How do I start milking a cow?

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
My cows haven't been trained to be handled much. I was wondering... How do I train one to be milked? I have a few gentle ones. I'm not looking for milk production. In fact, all I want is a little milk for cheese, yogurt and butter every now and then. Can I milk while calf is still on the mother? How do I tame the mother?

Thanks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You will need some place that you can "lock" her up. A stantion, headgate, squeeze shoot. Being a first timer she is likely to object. Choose one of the ones that are gentler and easier to work with. Work with her and she will come to accept you milking her and you won't have to take the more drastic measures to lock her up. Once you have picked one start working with her. If she hasn't had the calf yet, don't try to milk her. But, you can get her used to being locked up and you can give her rubdowns and special treats-get her used to you working closely with her. Then when she freshens you can milk her. The first couple of days it's colustrum milk and won't be useful for you to use-let the calf have it. On my misc. page is directions to a way to tie her up to make it harder for her to kick, if you need it.

Yes, you can milk her while she has the calf on her. This will work to your advantage for what your wanting. Normally, you need to milk a cow twice a day but, with the calf on her once a day will be sufficient.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Well, as you know, I just broke the news that I'm a minor, and I have no control over what's happening with the farm. I can suggest, I can encourage, I can muck out stalls, but I can't change the ultimate decision, which is made by my father.

I'll tell him what I've learned and ask, but like I just said, no promises. I'd love to, however. Always wanted to hand-milk a cow. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You're very intelligent and mature. Present your case to your father calmly and maturely. It's you who wants the milk cow so make the commitment that you will be the one to do the work.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
You're very intelligent and mature. Present your case to your father calmly and maturely. It's you who wants the milk cow so make the commitment that you will be the one to do the work.
*blush*

I'll do my best, but he has nice arguments up his sleeve too. I'm doing my research now, so when the time comes, I'm all ready with information. His main argument is what to do with all the milk (we aren't big milk-drinkers. Me and my sibling are allergic, and my parents don't. They eat cheese and yogurt.)

I have another thread on what to do with the extra milk in the recipes section. I really want to do this milking thing, for the experience as well as to become more independent from the store. And heck, if I have to feed half of it to my chickens, I'll do it.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I responded to your other post. The chickens will love extra milk or yogurt.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Yes, I saw that. Thank you!

OK, more questions here:

When is the best time for training a cow to milk?

Is there a way you can tell how much milk a cow will give?

Once I have her trained, can I just walk out into the pasture and milk her?

PS: I have chosen a good cow (Martha). She is kind, gentle, small-bodied, and she throws good calves. She won't be too hard to train, I hope.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The milk the first couple of days won't be any good for you to use so let the calf and her bond. Then start milking her. I feel you should start as you mean to go and not leave it to late.

It's hard to predicte how much milk a cow will give.

If she will let you walk up to her out on pasture and you can keep the milk clean, sure. In many third world countries that is where they milk their cows.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Kitty! You have given me enough material to approach my father with a good case. I'll ask him very soon!