How do I start milking a cow?

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
AS to when you can start, you can start any time she is in milk and will let you touch/milk her! If the calf is on the ground and/or still nursing, she is fair game.
If she is already calved, you have to start getting her used ot being touched all over, especially if you are hoping to milk her in the field.
My family cow was really really tame but I still had to have her tied or she'd get bored and wander off with me still milking. Not a good thing.
AS to quantity, the cow will usually adjust quantity to the amount needed. For instance, if she has twins, they will drain her faster and she will usually increase her production. You are basically being a *twin*
SO far as extra milk: your chickens will adore you, there will be lots of yogurt, if you have pigs they will adore you, if you have kitties they will adore you.
And, no guarantees, but many people who are lactose intolerant can drink unpasteurized milk. THe pasteurization kills some enzymes that enable them to digest the milk. Lact-aid merely reintroduces those enzymes. The medical community doesn't want to hear this (IMHO) because the establishment feels it is safer to stay with pasteurization than take a chance with raw milk bacteria. In actuality, it all depends on the health of the cow. As an owner, it is your responsibility to your cow's health AND YOURS to make sure she is healthy, disease-free, and clean.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
AS to when you can start, you can start any time she is in milk and will let you touch/milk her! If the calf is on the ground and/or still nursing, she is fair game.
If she is already calved, you have to start getting her used ot being touched all over, especially if you are hoping to milk her in the field.
My family cow was really really tame but I still had to have her tied or she'd get bored and wander off with me still milking. Not a good thing.
AS to quantity, the cow will usually adjust quantity to the amount needed. For instance, if she has twins, they will drain her faster and she will usually increase her production. You are basically being a *twin*
SO far as extra milk: your chickens will adore you, there will be lots of yogurt, if you have pigs they will adore you, if you have kitties they will adore you.
And, no guarantees, but many people who are lactose intolerant can drink unpasteurized milk. THe pasteurization kills some enzymes that enable them to digest the milk. Lact-aid merely reintroduces those enzymes. The medical community doesn't want to hear this (IMHO) because the establishment feels it is safer to stay with pasteurization than take a chance with raw milk bacteria. In actuality, it all depends on the health of the cow. As an owner, it is your responsibility to your cow's health AND YOURS to make sure she is healthy, disease-free, and clean.
I find the lactose thing really interesting. That DOES make sense. One problem: It's not the lactose I'm allergic to. It's the casein I'm allergic to.

I agree that the health of the cow and it's living conditions are ten times more important than pasteurizing. :thumbsup