How do I trim my boers hooves?

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am trying to find out how to trim Andy's (my Boer buck) hooves. I trim the NDs hooves with a small pair of hoof clippers but the last time I did Andy's, the clippers nearly broke, the blades were separating, and I hurt my hand. I ended up with blisters. :/ I know in pics of some show boers the hooves are really short and straight. How do I get that done? His hooves are getting super thick and hard.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You could try letting him stand in a foot bath of water for 10-15 minutes. He won't like it but it will get his hooves soft (like how your fingernails get soft when you're in the shower or bath) enough to trim. He may need to stay in there longer depending on how hard his hooves are.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
X2. Soaking will definately help. When its wet out and the goats have constantly been walking on the wet ground their feet are soo much easier to do. Also I sharpen my hoof trimmers before I use them. It seems to really help.

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to invest in some good trimmers also. It's not worth getting upset, and upsetting the goat, over $50.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How old is Andy again? I trimmed mine with just a regular green colored clipper from Jeffer's. I just did mine this past weekend too.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Boer goats hooves are more work than the dairy goat hooves- probably especially so if you are used to NDs.

I find the best way if they aren't well maintained is to trim them, wait a few days, then trim them more, and repeat till they look nice. Soaking in water should help (though I've never done that), but I use a wet stiff- bristled brush to brush them off first. I did our wether's last week and after 5 minutes of him crying like a baby (living up to his 25% Nubian, lol) and trying to get away it went really well. I'm going to keep up with them better now, but I had been waiting on our milk stand. I ended up doing it myself without the milk stand (it's still not done!) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be- after the 5 minutes of complaining and reminding him that I *am* in charge. I think we are about an even match on weight right now, but he is very tame and sweet, just whiney. Plus, the look on my daughter's face when she came to help (usually she holds him, or I hold him and she trims) and he was done was priceless.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Andy is a year old. He is pretty cooperative so I only have to use a leash to secure him to a fence and use my body to block him from moving too much. He is really pretty tame and very friendly when he isn't being shy. He is easier to do the front, once I get to the back he seems to have a harder time standing and tries to lay down. He should be over a hundred pounds now since he was 85 when we brought him home.

The walls of his hooves just seem so thick. The soft spongy part of his hoof is actually pretty close to the edge, but they look long to me. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good brand of trimmer for him?

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My DH usually does ours, and our oldest Fainter buck locks up and falls over when he does his....he just lets him lay there til he gets done. LOL. Works good. A good pair of trimmers is a must though.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
We ended up getting horse hoof trimmers for our rams.