How do you keep your dogs from roaming?

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't have any guardian dogs, and I won't be able to get them for a few years, but I've always wondered: how do you keep your dog on your land? Do you use the electric collar-fence, actual fencing or do they just stay with the animals?

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ours are fenced in with the goats, they won't even step out of the gate when it's open, I have a friend that has two females and they are fenced but they are escapes, I had them here for breeding and they got out, but my male stayed put. they will gaurd and protect lots of ground if you don't keep them in or train them.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
You have to have a fence. Whether it's livestock fence or electric fence. If you don't then the will wander. They think that if they see it, then it's there land. If they do chase an animal then they could chase it a long way away and might not be able to find there way back.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First step IMO is spay or neuter them! Being over-loaded with hormones will make any dog not think correctly.

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In with the goats. 4 wire electric 20,000 volts.

redtailgal

Reaction score
LGD's are getting more and more popular every day around here. Most folks around here keep a stout electric fence and let the dog learn the consequences of touching it at a young age.

Of course, there are the few that will still wander. I just wouldnt keep a wandering LGD. They have a job to do......to guard the flock, herd etc. Their guardian skills are poor indeed if they leave their charges to wander, and should be neutered and rehomed to a ore suitable life.

Most folks out here will not spay/neuter a good guardian, as its hard to find a truly good guardian. Intact dogs that do their job well need to be available for breeding purposes......its those that are prone to wander that get that trip to the vet for the "snip".

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A friend of mine uses the Fenceless system with the electric collars to fence in his dogs. He has the system to contain 15-20 acre pastures. This sounds easier than trying to maintain a fenceline free of weeds or snow that would ground out a electric fence.

Some breeds are more prone to roam, and individuals in the breed will vary. Some dogs guard from the perimeter, and actively chase to repell the predators. Not the same thing as raoming the neighborhood.

Some individuals are near impossible to contain.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Your question brings up another question. Inside or outside the fence? :D

We will soon be getting our LGD's. We are opting to "not" have them fenced in with our animals, but rather to have them outside the fencing with the ability to patrol. This is why we are going this route:

It is my understanding that it is instinctual for the LGD's to protect and stay near their charges. As long as they have enough to do and enough charges to watch over, thus keeping them busy, they shouldn't really have a need to wander off. The LGD's are supposse to warn off predators that they hear and see from a long distance away. First by bark, then bark and run, then kill if neccessary.

If they are on the outside of the fencing, they have the ability to do all of the above. If the LGD's are on the inside of the fencing, they have to wait until the predator is within the fencing where your livestock is in order to charge and or kill with any effectiveness. We want our dogs to be able to chase them off long before they get in sight of our livestock.

I believe that each situation may be a bit different. We have 26 acres that are not completely fenced, but our livestock fenced in a smaller acerage within the 26. We then have hundreds of acres behind us so if they do roam in order to chase predators away, I am ok with that. If we had a small amount of land, we would most likely consider fencing in the entire area.

I think a huge consideration is having enough to keep the LGD busy so that they don't desire to wander. They are working dogs and desire to work.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you do that excpect not to see your dogs for awhile., I would worry that they would'nt come back, my dogs sound the alarm, no= predetor IN. period. never have i seen a animal enter my fenced in area where my dogs are, just would'nt happen.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My female will not wander more than about 100' away from the house.

My male on the other hand wanders BAD. He is fixed but just won't stay put. I have him on a 100' cable run. Is positioned next to the livestock but not in their pens. He can bark and chase away anything around and if the predator gets close enough the female will go after it.