How do you store milk untill use?

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We will have three Nubian does in full lactation come spring. I am expecting we will average about 3 gallons a day. Anyone have any suggestions on what to keep that much milk in until we use it? I would like to keep about a half gallon a day for drinking but the rest is going to be used for yogurt, cheese, butter, soap etc. Any suggestions on how to store many gallons at a time. I would rather not use plastic if I can. We have glass quart bottles now which how worked great but they are not gonna gut it for this much volume.

(I thought we would have one milking doe this spring. We where wrong! I have multiplying goat syndrome baaaaad. Two months ago I had zero goats. By May I expect to have 6 or 7. :lol: 3 does, 1 buck, 1 wether and what ever kids one of the does produces.)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
My MIL worked at a nursing home w/ a commercial kitchen...I was able to get several glass gallon jars through her. I also bought a few 1/2 G jars from TSC when they went on clearance.

I can see if my MIL has any or can get any more of the glass jars if you'd like? If not, buy some gallon jars of something you use a lot of....or give everyone a chocolate dipped dill pickle this Christmas. :lol:

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I bought glass milk bottles, ones with a pour spout and rubber stopper, from WalMart that were pretty well priced. We got them in 2 quart size, which fit well in the fridge and in the dishwasher, and labeled the lids so we rotate the oldest milk to the front of the fridge. We use it up pretty fast though.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I purchased a dozen half gallon canning jars (wide mouth). Friend manages a hardware store and he gave me a great deal.

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I buy the GREEN label gallon water jugs from KROGER on the babyfood aisle. They have a SCREW top. I use the water for coffee ect and then use the empty for MILK and FREEZE it up. When I need it for drinking I put it in the sink overnight and its thaw in the morning and still chilled...... or I put it on counter for a couple hours and then in fridge . I also have Kefir grains so I am always making fresh kefir. I make ice cream and bar soap too.... but the majority of milk is frozen in plastic jugs with screw top lids

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We use the Half Gallon Ball jars with the twist on lids. When I get overrun with milk, I put it into gallon ziploc bags and freeze it - When you thaw it to use again you need to use a blender because it separates a bit, but it works out really good when I go to make soap :) -- Frozen milk is the best with the lye. Good luck!!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use 1/2 gallon mason jars. When those get full I go to the nearest RO "water store" and buy a case (48) of the plastic water jugs with lids. It's only $35 bucks for the whole case. They look like milk jugs and are 1 gallon. They work well when the glass gets full.

Also, I had 6 milking nubians and was averaging 4 gallons a day. You might not get exactly 1 gallon per goat.

Latest posts