How do you store your feed?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I use old freezers to store feed...mouse proof and keeps the food 'fresh' so long as the seal is good....much easier (IMHO) than cans when dealing w/ high volume.
I have been watching Craigslist for "free freezers" . As soon as I get one that is what I plan on doing.

Cans work for now.

CountryFried

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I use old freezers to store feed...mouse proof and keeps the food 'fresh' so long as the seal is good....much easier (IMHO) than cans when dealing w/ high volume.
That's my plan in the future. I've been checking freecycle and craigslist regularly for some chest freezers for exactly this purpose. The freezer I have the food in right now is pretty old, we expect it to die anytime, and then it will be relegated to being a feed holder LOL.

TY all for the suggestions, I will hit TS soon and get some cans.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wondering if the insulation and tight seal of a freezer not in use will create condensation in grains not fully dry or feeds that have added moisture like sweet feeds.

Any possibility of having mold issues in this manner?

Condensation is one reason I was told not to use plastic barrels as they tend to fluctuate more with the temps and can create a little mini-greenhouse affect on feeds that put off a little heat or moisture.

Anyone hear the same thing?

I use metal cans.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
When it's really, REALLY steamy out I prop the lids up a bit (1/4") to keep it from getting too damp. I've never had it get moldy, just a bit damp / sticky on top...and that's only when it's truly muggy out.

I was concerned about the same thing at first but it hasn't been an issue. Our chicken feed is a mash and it would mold / clump really fast if it got damp.

Of course, that 1/4" seems to be enough for a mouse to get in, so you reach in and pull out the scoop and there's a mouse on it, and he runs up your arm, and then all your goats laugh at you while you do the "Oh Ick There's A Mouse On Me" dance.....

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I solved the moisture in the feed problem by taking some 1/8"x 1/8" hardware cloth and made a ring that would fit snug against the inside of the garbage can and inside of the lid which would then sit about 1" to 4" above the garbage can.

CountryFried

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
Roll farms said:
I have been watching Craigslist for "free freezers" . As soon as I get one that is what I plan on doing.

Cans work for now.
Jodie,

I actually put an ad on Craigslist after this thread, am picking up one FREE freezer this weekend (doesn't work) and another for $30 that doesn't freeze but still gets cold, guy says there's a leaking line. I may fix the one and use it to actually freeze food in, since I always freeze anything grainy for 24-48 hours after I buy it anyway.

You may want to post a wanted ad on your Craigslist and see what you come up with :)