How ducks react to people question?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So often I wonder, how do you tell if your ducks like you?

Its hard to know right?

Mine act afraid to be grabbed, and will run away. But they will chatter like crazy when they see me coming with the food.

It makes you wonder if they are really tamed or not? what do you think?

But I also had a new way to look at this question recently. And it seemed interesting to talk about with others;

Is the way ducks act around people similar to the way they act around other predators? Or is how they act towards us (the boss) like how they act towards each other more?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raised Pekin ducks one time, they never did like me. The runner ducks I kept for eggs weren't much better. Hysterical, RUN! Screaming, they would knock down and trample each other in their haste to get away. They also never seemed to sleep and they never shut up. I put the Pekins in the freezer and gave away the runners. I did not miss them.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I raised Pekin ducks one time, they never did like me. The runner ducks I kept for eggs weren't much better. Hysterical, RUN! Screaming, they would knock down and trample each other in their haste to get away. They also never seemed to sleep and they never shut up. I put the Pekins in the freezer and gave away the runners. I did not miss them.

My runners were exactly like that even now! Hahaha. The trampling each other bit especially brings up some fun memories. They are not as improved from that as I like. They seem to be trying to make up their mind on being hysterical or getting food.

I swear they don't want me to see them eating my food too.

What did you switch to then? Did you ever work out something that likes you that are ducks?

My pekings are slightly better now, but still don't like to get too close.

I do like runners still, but I do wish they were friendlier.

I wish I could get more ducks to be more friendly.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve raised mine in the bathtub, and two are still a little skittish but they rest are sweet hearts. Ducks are always loud, that’s part of their charm for me. I love chattering creatures come clumsily running over and falling over their feet and each other. If you want them tame hand feed them tomatoes and talk to them gently. When my one gets scared she will hide behind me and has asked to be picked up before(comes over and hops on her toes with her neck up).But she was a rescue, which are always special lol.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
How I tell if my ducks like me? I don't know if I'd call it "like" but I can tell when they trust me, though not to the point where I could put hands on them any time I please. I can tell when they trust me by how they act when there is perceived danger when I'm nearby, that they don't flee away from me, but towards me. I guess I represent security to them, but I don't know that I would want mine to ever become used to being picked up or petted by me....they are part of a free range flock, so I want them flighty and nervous about predators, especially those that approach from above. Even me, so I don't try to tame a duck or chicken down enough that they will allow me to bend over them and pick them up. It's pretty important for their survival that they not be tame.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How I tell if my ducks like me? I don't know if I'd call it "like" but I can tell when they trust me, though not to the point where I could put hands on them any time I please. I can tell when they trust me by how they act when there is perceived danger when I'm nearby, that they don't flee away from me, but towards me. I guess I represent security to them, but I don't know that I would want mine to ever become used to being picked up or petted by me....they are part of a free range flock, so I want them flighty and nervous about predators, especially those that approach from above. Even me, so I don't try to tame a duck or chicken down enough that they will allow me to bend over them and pick them up. It's pretty important for their survival that they not be tame.
If mine free ranged all day without having geese and shelters than it would be more of a concern for me. As far as predators, or people they DON’T know lol, not the same reaction. They duck from big shadows and they either run from or scream at weird people unless I’m out there. The only problem I’ve had with them being so tame is someone was in the yard with a weed wacker and my one duck “charged” because she thought he was threatening the flock. But I totally get why not everyone wants tame ducks, especially not if they are livestock. Mine just happen to be pets that pay for themselves.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
My take is that ducks like food and water. Not you. Sorry.
They are all hedonistic spaghetti brains or in the case of muscovy, arrogant, self serving brats that want to take over the world just like chickens are little raptors.
Not bright enough to like you, doubly sorry.
They are pretty though.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My take is that ducks like food and water. Not you. Sorry.
They are all hedonistic spaghetti brains or in the case of muscovy, arrogant, self serving brats that want to take over the world just like chickens are little raptors.
Not bright enough to like you, doubly sorry.
They are pretty though.

They are pretty, and still fun to watch despite the need for patience with them.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like them for their looks and steady, reliable laying in reference to campbells and hybrids. And here we have lyme the whole tick borne illness company in addition to a massive slug and frog issue, so their pest control and foraging abilities have been surprisingly helpful. A week or two after I had then roaming the back and barnyard in the right numbers we stopped getting ticks crawling through the windows and I only crunched a few frogs in the dark and the slug population was almost normal. Previously I'd also slid down the hill to the chicken coop and landed on 3-4 inch long giant yellow slugs on more than one occasion and treated chickens for gape worm. (Our goats probably still had at least one liver fluke incident this year, but the ducks aren't allowed in the goat runs sooo...)

They may not love you, but farming isn't always just keeping animals that love you. Sometimes it's keeping the animals that don't and keeping them well so you all benefit. Ducks definitely have a place on the farm despite being yellow livered spaghetti brains at heart. I love my beautiful ducks.