How far will a bull go...

Sara Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How far will a bull go to reach a heifer in heat?

One mile? Five miles?

Up a mountain? Down a mountain?

Through the fence, the woods, over the road, and past the steak restaurant? <--- attempt at a little humor.

I am at the top of the mountain. There are two herds near by - one about a mile away. I don't think they bring any bulls up to graze. Mostly mommies and babies. There is another herd down the mountain in the valley that DOES keep bulls. At least one, possibly two. As the crow flies, it's maybe a mile or two away.

I know my fencing would not be able to stop the bull if he choose to come visit.

Should I allow a free visit to bred my girls, if the bull got loose?

I have not heard of this neighbors bull(s) ever getting loose. I don't know if it would be an issue or not. I would like to prepared though.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You never know. Sometimes a bull will get loose and go up to 10 miles to get a cow/heifer. Others will never stray, even if the neighboring herd is all in heat at once. It all depends on the bull. As to fences---even a very well made fence is unlikely to hold a bull if he REALLY wants to get out. They are incredibly strong. Good luck!

Sara Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh. Wow. Thanks @jhm47

I guess I'll be carefully watching my back 40 for a wandering bull...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a cow come in heat and she broke through the fence, went several miles down the road and up in a yard. The owner opened his gate and let her in his pasture, where his bull bred her. He figured someone would come along to claim her, which we did, grateful that he put her up. DD and I sat on a tailgate of a friends truck with a bucket of cow cubes and the rancher opened the gate. We shook the bucket, she ran to us and our friend drove back to our pasture.....real....slow. She trotted behind the truck while we shoved cubes at her. Our friend said he'd never been on a cow round up like that!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I once had a longhorn bull that jumped the fence like a deer. He stayed out more than he stayed in. I got tired of the sheriff's department calling me, chasing the bull, the bull chasing me, durn bull running up and down the road.....so I sold him. At his new home, he dang nigh instigated a range war......he jumped out, went down the road and jumped in a pasture where he bred a registered Angus herd....

Sara Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Baymule - oh MY!!!

It makes my little story about the cow's going on vacation to a milk momma sound unexciting. I don't mind - there was plenty of laughter and angst over my two girls leaving.

I feel better prepared for the spring and when the girls go in heat.

Gotta get those new earrings on the girls soon.

And I gotta ask - cow cubes? What are those??

Edited to add a question.