How long does it take?

RegiB

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Cause this is the only place the question can be asked and I still be considered normal. 😆 I’m breeding my girls (ND/with a little Nubian) for the first time: how long does it take for the buck (100% ND) to finish once he mounts? My girls have just been running from him up until today when one of my girls started talking back to him. He’s a little shorter than my girls so once he got up there she’d take one step away and he’d have to start all over again. I know for a fact he penetrated at least once (she was very shocked) but don’t know if she was still long enough for the job to be completed.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
they must have just come into heat how you know they that have been sucksefuly bred they will hunch up.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she is fully in heat he will keep trying to mount and she will back up into him to make it easier for him.

When that happens I give them 20 to 40 minutes, and then call it done.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nigerian Dwarfs will come into heat every 18-21 days, year-round. They will be in heat for 1-3 days. During heat, is the only time a doe will let the buck mount and breed her. It's also the only time the doe can/will conceive. Signs of heat include, tail waging (aka flagging), fence pacing, being vocal, swollen back end, and discharge.

It literally only takes a few seconds for a buck to successfully breed a doe.

When your doe is in heat, she will allow the buck to mount and breed her. When a buck successfully breeds a doe, he will thrust forward, making him "dip" with his hips and the doe will most likely hunch her back up. Again, this only takes seconds so you could very well be missing it. You could also look up videos of goats successfully breeding.

Just because a buck is mounting a doe, does not mean he is breeding her. Once your doe is bred, watch for signs of her coming back into heat, some does don't "take" the first time or two and will need to be rebred.

How old is your buck and doe?

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will visually see him make a hard "thrust" and that's it. It's over that quick. She will usually be hunched when he is done and it's not unusual to see some semen coming back out.

RegiB

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nigerian Dwarfs will come into heat every 18-21 days, year-round. They will be in heat for 1-3 days. During heat, is the only time a doe will let the buck mount and breed her. It's also the only time the doe can/will conceive. Signs of heat include, tail waging (aka flagging), fence pacing, being vocal, swollen back end, and discharge.

It literally only takes a few seconds for a buck to successfully breed a doe.

When your doe is in heat, she will allow the buck to mount and breed her. When a buck successfully breeds a doe, he will thrust forward, making him "dip" with his hips and the doe will most likely hunch her back up. Again, this only takes seconds so you could very well be missing it. You could also look up videos of goats successfully breeding.

Just because a buck is mounting a doe, does not mean he is breeding her. Once your doe is bred, watch for signs of her coming back into heat, some does don't "take" the first time or two and will need to be rebred.

How old is your buck and doe?
My buck is just over a year and my girls are 9 months old now. The girls have been going into heat regularly for the last few months but I only just got my buck with them about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time one of them was even a little bit receptive and she would still step away from him so he was working for it, but I’m sure he did get her once. Just wasn’t sure if it was over in an instant or not. Really hoping that by their next cycle (my queen has already gone out of heat) that they’ll be comfortable enough with him to actually get the job done.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My buck is just over a year and my girls are 9 months old now. The girls have been going into heat regularly for the last few months but I only just got my buck with them about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time one of them was even a little bit receptive and she would still step away from him so he was working for it, but I’m sure he did get her once. Just wasn’t sure if it was over in an instant or not. Really hoping that by their next cycle (my queen has already gone out of heat) that they’ll be comfortable enough with him to actually get the job done.
I'm sure he'll figure it out soon. Being a little over a year old......they are usually pretty determined at that age to get the job done. ;)

Latest posts