1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Making a Pasture -Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

How Long is it good for?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Kitchen Tips' started by Southern by choice, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jan 25, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

I am going to be making more home made blueberry syrup and raspberry syrup... I do boil it but do not use any preservatives. I keep it in the fridge.

How long is it good for refrigerated?

It goes fast but I thought I'd just make a lot and this way I don't have to make it as often.

:idunno

promiseacres likes this.
  2. Jan 25, 2018
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Freeze it in ice cube trays. Then take out a cube whenever you want it.

3. Jan 25, 2018
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

I know you said you boil it but is there a certain temperature you go to? When we make maple syrup we go 7 degrees above boiling(219* for us).

If you have the Ball Blue Book of preserving, check out their different syrups-they talk about putting the jars into a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

4. Jan 26, 2018
    AClark

AClark Loving the herd life

Around 2 weeks for things like "freezer jam" or syrups after they are in the fridge, or syrups that are never frozen. If you're going to make in bulk, freeze it, and it's good for as long as it stays frozen, may need some shaking after thawed, but it's fine to freeze as long as you leave enough headspace in the jar. About an inch is usually good enough to keep the jars from exploding in the freezer.

Blueberry and Raspberries are both very high in acid and could be water bath canned easily (no pressure cooker needed), then they have a 18 month shelf life according to the new Ball lids. I'd be happy to help if you're interested in canning it. Depending on elevation, it only takes 10-15 minutes to water bath can - for me it's 15 due to being over 3000 feet in elevation. I water bath my jams and jellies so I can store them in a cabinet and not take up valuable freezer real-estate.

5. Jan 26, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

So just do like you would normally when making jam?

I am not skilled in this area- canning has always scared me but I have made jam before.
    LOL we have a pressure cooker that we never use.
    I sure would like to do more.
    Maybe a canning thread would be great!

6. Jan 26, 2018
    AClark

AClark Loving the herd life

Yeah exactly! Here's a guide: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/berry_syrup.html

I can everything from chili to meats, jams, jelly, bacon jam, even beef stew. I had reservations at first, but nobody has gotten sick ever and it's really good to crack open a big jar of beef stew on cold winter days.

Southern by choice likes this.