How Long is it good for?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am going to be making more home made blueberry syrup and raspberry syrup... I do boil it but do not use any preservatives. I keep it in the fridge.

How long is it good for refrigerated?

It goes fast but I thought I'd just make a lot and this way I don't have to make it as often.

:idunno

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know you said you boil it but is there a certain temperature you go to? When we make maple syrup we go 7 degrees above boiling(219* for us).

If you have the Ball Blue Book of preserving, check out their different syrups-they talk about putting the jars into a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Around 2 weeks for things like "freezer jam" or syrups after they are in the fridge, or syrups that are never frozen. If you're going to make in bulk, freeze it, and it's good for as long as it stays frozen, may need some shaking after thawed, but it's fine to freeze as long as you leave enough headspace in the jar. About an inch is usually good enough to keep the jars from exploding in the freezer.

Blueberry and Raspberries are both very high in acid and could be water bath canned easily (no pressure cooker needed), then they have a 18 month shelf life according to the new Ball lids. I'd be happy to help if you're interested in canning it. Depending on elevation, it only takes 10-15 minutes to water bath can - for me it's 15 due to being over 3000 feet in elevation. I water bath my jams and jellies so I can store them in a cabinet and not take up valuable freezer real-estate.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Around 2 weeks for things like "freezer jam" or syrups after they are in the fridge, or syrups that are never frozen. If you're going to make in bulk, freeze it, and it's good for as long as it stays frozen, may need some shaking after thawed, but it's fine to freeze as long as you leave enough headspace in the jar. About an inch is usually good enough to keep the jars from exploding in the freezer.

Blueberry and Raspberries are both very high in acid and could be water bath canned easily (no pressure cooker needed), then they have a 18 month shelf life according to the new Ball lids. I'd be happy to help if you're interested in canning it. Depending on elevation, it only takes 10-15 minutes to water bath can - for me it's 15 due to being over 3000 feet in elevation. I water bath my jams and jellies so I can store them in a cabinet and not take up valuable freezer real-estate.

So just do like you would normally when making jam?

I am not skilled in this area- canning has always scared me but I have made jam before.
LOL we have a pressure cooker that we never use.
I sure would like to do more.
Maybe a canning thread would be great!