how long should hand milking take?

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Seems like it takes me a looong time to milk my cow. Her teats are short and it seems like not a lot of milk comes out in a squirt.

So how long should handmilking take?

Do some cows have 'low flow' teats? Is there anything that helps with this?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The length of time it takes depends on your ability and the cow. Some cows milk faster, some give more, some are just plain difficult to milk.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty gave an excellent answer.... as usual!

I would have just said... yeppp-- that's how long it takes! ;)

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, if I learn to milk this one, I'll be in heaven when I have an easier milker! :) Today went a little bit easier... I am still quitting around 40 oz.

That seems to be the point where she won't give me anymore. But we got to that point a little faster today. Maybe I can sneak more milk out of her tomorrow...

I think I'm trying too hard and need to relax! Decaf only before milking!! :caf

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hand milking is an art and takes time to learn. You're doing fine. It's not like you have to get her milked out where the calf is on her too.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes hand milking is an art ive seen my dad hand milk a full bagg beef in 10mins to releive the pressure.an he was milking real fast.as he knew how to hand milk.you should be able to milk her in 15mins.

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
15 minutes, eh? You gonna come over and massage the cramps out of my hands????? :lol:

Actually, yesterday I felt more coordinated and in the zone and my hands didn't hurt. It seems like one of those things that you need to learn true relaxation to do well...

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well it takes a while to get your hands strong enough for hand milking.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Also, realize at 40 ozs., you have 5 cups + the calf nursing. Not bad. I'm not sure how much to expect out of a Dexter but, that sounds pretty good for one milking. Remember the calf, if you were hand feeding would take 1 1/2 to 2 qts/2x's a day as a newborn and more at a couple weeks old. It will still be drinking that much and probably more with unlimited access.