How Long Should I Wait To Breed After Bringing The Rabbits Home??

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I got my rabbits on Friday the 12th. American Chinchilla. The doe is 11 months old and the buck is 9 months old. They are unproven. My question is, how long do I need to let them settle in before I attempt to breed them? Can I give it a shot tomorrow or Wednesday? Or should I let them chill for a week or two?

Thanks!

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would check the doe's genitals. If they are dark pink/red she should be towards the best time in her cycle to breed. If pale pink, wait a few days and check again.

If they seem to be settled in their cages and are doing ok, I don't see why you couldn't breed them. Remember to always bring the doe to the buck. If they are unproven, you might need to help the buck figure out which end the action takes place... Sometimes they get confused.

Get three good fall offs and then separate; count 26-28 days, that's when you'll add the nest box. 28-34 days after the deed you should get babies. Most of my rabbits are right on 31 days, it can vary by rabbit though.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would check the doe's genitals. If they are dark pink/red she should be towards the best time in her cycle to breed. If pale pink, wait a few days and check again.

If they seem to be settled in their cages and are doing ok, I don't see why you couldn't breed them. Remember to always bring the doe to the buck. If they are unproven, you might need to help the buck figure out which end the action takes place... Sometimes they get confused.

Get three good fall offs and then separate; count 26-28 days, that's when you'll add the nest box. 28-34 days after the deed you should get babies. Most of my rabbits are right on 31 days, it can vary by rabbit though.
So I attempted it a little while ago. The buck was very eager and must have mounted her about 20 times. She didn't seem very interested though. She would mostly hunker in the corner. It is confusing because she has been tossing her cage and rubbing her chin on stuff. Probably about a dozen times the buck seemed like he was in a suitable position, he would jack hammer away for a few seconds, but then instead of falling off and grunting he would just sort of stop humping and like, lay on her back? No noises, no floor thumping.

Do your bucks ever successfully mate and then just quietly lay on the does back, instead of the fall off? Is no fall off/grunt pretty much a guarantee he missed the mark? Is it obvious when the doe lifts her backside up to receive?

Tomorrow I will look at her genitals and see if there is anything to be learned there.
I don't think this was a successful breeding. Do you? Opinions appreciated!

@Fishychix @Grizzlyhackle

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I attempted it a little while ago. The buck was very eager and must have mounted her about 20 times. She didn't seem very interested though. She would mostly hunker in the corner. It is confusing because she has been tossing her cage and rubbing her chin on stuff. Probably about a dozen times the buck seemed like he was in a suitable position, he would jack hammer away for a few seconds, but then instead of falling off and grunting he would just sort of stop humping and like, lay on her back? No noises, no floor thumping.

Do your bucks ever successfully mate and then just quietly lay on the does back, instead of the fall off? Is no fall off/grunt pretty much a guarantee he missed the mark? Is it obvious when the doe lifts her backside up to receive?

Tomorrow I will look at her genitals and see if there is anything to be learned there.
I don't think this was a successful breeding. Do you? Opinions appreciated!

@Fishychix @Grizzlyhackle
If he was making contact, he would have fallen off. I would not count it as successful. Sounds like she wasn't lifting for the buck. Sometimes if a doe is not receptive she will plant her bottom to the floor, or sit so she's backed up against the wall or corner so the buck can't reach her.

You can try again later and she might be more in the mood. Or, if she still isn't lifting you can grab her front half and pull her forward a little bit. Sometimes that's enough to pop her bottom out into position. If you try again and she's still not having it, you can leave her in the buck's cage and put him in her cage overnight. Then try again in the morning by taking her to the buck. She will have had all night to smell him and get in the mood being in his cage.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If he was making contact, he would have fallen off. I would not count it as successful. Sounds like she wasn't lifting for the buck. Sometimes if a doe is not receptive she will plant her bottom to the floor, or sit so she's backed up against the wall or corner so the buck can't reach her.

You can try again later and she might be more in the mood. Or, if she still isn't lifting you can grab her front half and pull her forward a little bit. Sometimes that's enough to pop her bottom out into position. If you try again and she's still not having it, you can leave her in the buck's cage and put him in her cage overnight. Then try again in the morning by taking her to the buck. She will have had all night to smell him and get in the mood being in his cage.
Thank you! I will try again tomorrow morning. Then again in the evening if need be. If still nothing, I will switch cages for the night.

I would have been shocked and thrilled if they figured it out their very first time. Tomorrow is another day! Supposed to be warm and sunny too. :) I will be boiling sap over a fire tomorrow near the barn so I will have a good chance to try and observe. Appreciate the reply!

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Tre3hugger the one time I tried to get a pair to breed it didn't work out. He fell off twice, but he ravaged her. He was so rough, bit her and drew blood. Looked like lions on the nature shows. So I separated them waited to try again. Life got in the way and I haven't tried since.
That is Crazy! I just tried again. No ravaging, but no sex either. I left the doe in the bucks cage and put the buck in the does cage. I will leave them like that for a few hours and try again.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has it worked yet?
Nope. They seemed to be less interested the more I pushed it, so i have just been letting them acclimate to their new house the last couple days. I have only had them like 9 days so far so I am not discouraged. I am also picking up a 5 month old NZ on Monday. I'm sure we will have some action here sooner or later! Appreciate you checking in though. I work all weekend so I will prob try breeding again on tuesday, with both does!