How long to continue eye medicine? (blind calf/pink eye)

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Apologies for making Another thread about the same calf, just think the question might be overlooked if I post it in an old thread.

Bella's eyes are looking fantastic. Her sight is MUCH better.she still gets frightened if you come upon her quickly but she finds me everytime i come in the pen and finds her bottle fine as well. The ulcers are down to smaller than a pencil eraser and I am starting to see some color behind(around) them as well. The weeping is also gone but the powder is making them a little crusty sometimes.

What I want toknow is if it would be a good idea to stop using the powder(after a few more days) since her eyes are no longer weeping and looking good. It's like the infection is gone and seems like they might be into the real healing process now? I just don't want to continue giving her the meds if it's not necessary.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Here's a picture of their new area. For now they get to reside in the newly constructed chicken coop, next to the current coop... They seem to be enjoying it and our momma cow and calf come and visit them sometimes.
8vvyud.jpg

5ybv6.jpg

2wel63t.jpg

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Will do, thanks for responding guys. She is still getting it at every feeding which is now only 2 times a day. I will have to take new pictures, her eyes have improved even since the last pictures I posted.

About to head out to feed them now... a little early but the Coyotes are screaming really close right now.

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah, they are looking healthy finally! Butterscotch is doing great but I am still dealing with the occasional scours from Bella. She had them tonight but I think it may have been that she just wasn't ready to get another pint and change over to morning/evening feedings only. Iam going to see how she's looking in the morning and might swiatch her back to 3x's a day and less milk.

Butterscotch is chowing down on grain but Bella is still only picking at it when i put it in her face after a bottle.

redtailgal

Reaction score
DId you ever treat Bella for coccidia?

I *really* think she would benefit from a treatment of Di-meth or Corrid.

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No I hadn't... don't have any corrid on hand, would Sulmet work? I know they're different but for chickens you can use sulmet or corrid for cocci.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yes, you can use it. It's not the drug of choice around here because it's not as effective, but may work fine in your area.

I'm assuming that you have the 12.5 liquid?

Check your bottle for dosages. When I use it I do 1 ounce/ 30 pounds for the first day, then 1 ounce per 50 for another 4 days. That makes it a little larger of a dose than recommended but the regular dose just isnt as effective for us.

Repeat in 20 days.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Oh..........dont put it in their milk. It tastes awful and they will refuse their bottle, and likely not trust the next one.

I'd just drench them.

Latest posts