How Long To Pigs Need Milk?

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello!
I may be rescuing 2 meat piglets on Friday. I am so excited, because chances are I will. They said they are 50 pounds, gave little info on age. I assume they have been eating fast-growth feed. I will be feeding them fresh produce when they are old enough. But, does a 50 pound piglet still need to be bottle fed? If so what type of milk, and for how long? Any additional advice about raising pet pigs is appreciated.
Thanks!

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Anyone? Oh, and does anyone know about how old a 50 pound meat pig would be?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A fifty pound pig should be 50 days old. Until pigs become shoat size you can generally expect one pound of growth per day of life. I wouldn't worry with bottle feeding them when you get them. IF you wanted them to still get some milk, then mix some in their feed and they'll eat every bit of it. If you are going to feed primarily fresh produce then you'll need to think about adding a few eggs per week to ensure that they receive enough lysine to grow properly and meet their potential. There are numerous natural sources of lysine, I use eggs because I raise quite a few birds and the pigs like eggs.

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay. Thanks so much! That really helps. I am a bit relieved that bottle feeding isn't necessary.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You're welcome. Post some pictures when you pick them up, I'm partial to pig people! :)

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will get you pics soon. We ended up getting 35 pound piglets! :)

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here are the pics! The black and pink pig is Wilma, and the pink pig is Charlotte!
LL

LL

LL

I will probably post more pics soon! :)