How long to train a goat to be milked?

Totesmygoats

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi All.
I have a 3yr old ND. She kidded out the beginning of March. The milking has been quite trying to say the least.
She's not a first time milker, but i am. (Her previous owner milked her.) She jumps onto the stand no problem and but barely stands long enough to finish her oats. Then she's done. She lays down and leans away from me. The kicking isn't too bad, or maybe I've just gotten really good at moving the bucket out of the way.
I guess my question is how long does it normally take to get a goat used to milking (again)? It's been almost 2 months and I don't see much improvement. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been experience that some train me instead of me training them. The quirking little habits like leaning away from you are nothing things I have been able to stop, even after two years. I just adapt. Fortunately mine have never laid down on the stand.

Totesmygoats

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's how I'm feeling... it seems like she has trained me and not the other way around.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some are just a PITB!
We have one dwarf that last year as a FF we pulled kids at birth and bottle fed so she was on the stand being milked within an hour of kidding. She was perfect from the first moment on the stand all the way through her lactation.
This year because of the flu we had to leave 2 of her kids on her - 2nd freshening- HORRIBLE! She kicks, lays down, fights! She wants that milk for her kids- her kids are weaned and she is still doing this so bad it isn't worth it.
We are drying her off and will re breed soon.

One of our does that has always dam raised has always been horrid- until we hot the milk machine. Put those inflations on and she is fine.

We use to dam raise only and now we pull... never an issue with any goat from the pulled.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we had a FF that took 3 sometimes 4 of us to milk her- she would gobble her food down while on the stand and then wanted off- so I had one kid hand feed her, one kid would stand on the other side of her and one would hold her back legs in place and I had to milk fast, after several months she did get better and I was able to milk her without help.

Latest posts