How Many Chances?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I have bred my Californian doe twice - to different bucks - and she hasn't kindled either time.

How many chances should she get before I cull her?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, that depends on who you ask!;)
Many variables come into play with rabbit breeding.
Sterile males in temps over 85 degrees, lack of length of daylight, bucks with split penis's, does whom will not ovulate with one copulation, over weight does, older does, hateful does :cool:, and the list goes on.
I would give a doe 2 chances in the spring before I gave up on her in a rigorous breeding plan.
I personally will give certain does several tries before I eliminate her. I have found that most times, it is owner error. I breed at strange times of the year(like now) or with older does(over 2 1/2) and miracles will not happen on the first try in those cases,...LOL. I am very patient with my does and I always do end up with kits, but sometimes it takes a few breedings!!;)
Younger brood does bred in the spring generally have a higher rate of taking.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would be patient too...When I first started breeding rabbits, I had quite a few misses...I too thought that my male was sterile or my female couldn't gestate a litter....I was wrong...They were both fine but just were particular about certain things. Once you figure out what type of situation they like it will be automatic and you will know when they are bred....
In another thread I follow my doe Misty as she prepares to kindle....She was one of my problem does...I found that she would not breed with a certain buck in a certain cage...If she wasn't kept in "her" hutch to kindle, instead of moving her inside as I do with the rest of the does, she would lose the whole litter...So now I keep her in "her" hutch and breed her to only 1 buck in a special cage.....She is now my best show quality producer and as you can read in the other thread, she kindled 4 times this year. I could get 1 more but I'm going to give her a break and set her up for a march kindle....

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Kate, how old is your doe and buck and has your doe had a successful litter?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
They are both coming up on a year old, and no, I've had them since they were little, so neither has bred.

The idea here is meat production, not show bunnies...they are worth nothing to me if they can't produce...they're not even tame enough to spay/neuter and call pets. So, we need to see some action or they're headed to freezer camp and we'll start over.

The man we bought them from breeds year round, no problem. I can't imagine they wouldn't breed this time of year! Everything else is in rut LOL. I'll give them one more chance, I guess.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, rabbits do not go into rut like goats do,...spring is the target time of year for breeding...
Yes, you can get them to breed year round, but if your looking at odds, the best time is in the spring.
Yes, for meat and production, I would have a handful of does to up the odds....

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
sounds crazy, but hang a light bulb near your rabbits, immitates lengthing days, so they breed better

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like something that would be worth a try!!!

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If they are just under ayear they may not be ready yet. Give them a little more time. they should be producing babies like crazy by next spring.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If your cages are not close, you might put them side by side. Sometimes this seems to bring a doe in heat, sort of like a teaser stallion.

Also, if she is a new, young doe, she may not breed as readily as older doe. They tend to be more flighty and run away from the buck more. My older does would just squat, lift a tail and get it over with.

I'd give her several tries with just one buck and stick around to witness the dirty deed. I've also had does who were too dominant in with a buck and they never actually got to do the do because she would just run away or flip him off of her. I've actually held does down for the breeding when this happens. Successful kindling from this method but not my fave thing to do on a Sat. morn. :rolleyes:

I agree....if they don't produce, they aren't good for much but the stewpot.

I'd also get an extra doe and keep them on a breeding rotation. The more litters they have, the bigger and better the litters you will get. Unlike other animals, rabbits produce better when they are bred more often than if they are only bred a couple of times a year.

Latest posts