How many chickens are too many?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:th That's...a .. lot.. of.. birds!
We have reduced, reduced, and reduced again.
We are down to our old favorites and a small group of active but pet chickens. Most of which are roosters.
We still have way too many feral chickens living deep in the woods though.

We decided our dairy goats were what we needed to focus on. When we move I will probably breed 2-3 varieties again.
I love my chickens.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm........ 28 layers, 2 of which are old and kept as pets. 14 chicks 3 weeks old and hatching more now, so far 12 new chicks. Is there such a thing as too many chickens????

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hatched out 28chicks a few months ago and usually sell them no problem. This year no buyers so I have 28 new birds plus probably another 25 in the coop; I should try and count them someday. I know I have 5 hens and 2 roosters that live in my yard, one is broody right now so I need to watch her, I don't want a bunch of yard birds. I also have 6 guineas and 4 ducks. I have a broody hen in my coop too.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
No no @AClark, Lays! Can't bring "plain" Lays into the house. DW has NO self control and will snarf the entire bag even if it is "family size". Their claim: "bet you can't eat just one" holds true for her. So I'm not allowed to bring them home unless I hide them and she doesn't know!! I trust she won't have any reason to look in the mid sized of our coolers in the laundry room ;) She is fine with a reasonable serving size of BBQ Lays.

And I don't care for "reconstituted potato mush" chips anyway :)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can easily eat just 1 potato chip, but pringles...nah, I can eat a whole can of those suckers. Sour cream and onion. :)

Latest posts