How many cria are you expecting this year?

Bil

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, how many cria are you expecting?

We have 4 pregnant dams at this point. One due in June, 2 in July and one in early August.

Bil

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had five llamas bred for this summer. However - only one is actually starting to show and they are all due within the next month. Now, I've had two of them give birth in the past without ever showing obvious tummy growth so..... ?????

I don't ultrasound to verify - I just use the good ole 'spit off' test. :)

Bil

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have 2 of ours that we have ultrasounded @ 45 days, the others have only been spit tested.

Spit testing is so fun!!:D

Bil

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Spit testing is so fun!!big_smile
It is, isn't it? :DEspecially when you accidentally get between the male and bred female when she's spitting at him. :sick Wow, is that putrid!

tygab

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two this summer. I could have more, but I'm trying to be more selective with my breedings. I have to decide what to do for 2010...

We had 8 boys in a row over two summers. All are nice looking, but only one may be the next level, he's going to his first shows in the fall.

If you're looking for some nice pet males, let me know!

sayyadina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, we had our first birth on May 17. Then we're not expecting any more until the end of July.

Will be expecting 8 next year.

crittergal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am expecting one!!!!! Yay!!!!!! :D It will be my first cria, and I can't wait! 'Course, it will probably be a boy, but it will be mine! :)

Hopefully next year I will have two! :D

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We just had our first cria born yesterday afternoon. Another girl! (I'm praying for boys. :/) She's adorable... as they all are; and she's doing great. I moved her and her momma to the barn as they were out in the pasture and it rained the entire day yesterday.

I'll post pictures later today.

Bil

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congrats Chirpy!

Hey, if I have any boys, I'll trade ya! :)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I had one cria in April and one coming the end of this month. First was a female and I'm praying this one will also be a female. We decided not to rebreed this year so I won't have any crias coming next year.

I birth for other farms and there has been a run on males lately. :rolleyes::( Not even from the same farm. About 6 different farms, all different herdsires. Thank goodness they have all been healthy though. :)