How Many LGDs

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just curious to know.....? how many of you have more than two lgds on your property? How do they behave together or are they separated?

Seriously considering going back and getting another puppy from the farmer I got my 5 year old female and one of her male puppies from......

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have read and understand that the. LGDs work better as a team and a predator or predators have a much harder time injuring or killing a pair or team than a single LGD. The younger will mimic the older and the older will feel lead to teach the ropes. I have read that on here from multiple accounts, but don't have my own yet, so wait for others to weigh in. I'll tag someone for you.
@Southern by choice

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had 10. We currently have 6 working the fields. 1 in semi retirement. 1 fully retired to house, 2 passed away.

Each field has always had 2 dogs. Right now, we have it a bit different. We had to switch things around. Blue has his fields but will jump over to another field with Chunk when he feels he needs to. Pete was Blue's partner but he died. Blue doesn't care for Eliza. Eliza was Tiggs partner but Tiggs is moved to baby yard so doesn't need a partner. Chunk gets the other adolescent field, Eliza we put in whatever field we need her. Amy and Silver have bucks, D has whatever is in the baby building.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not add another pup unless you really need the protection, and even then I wouldn’t necessarily get it from the same farm. I’d bring in a pup in a few years. Your female will start aging and your male may benefit from getting a partner in a few years.

If there are any genetic issues, fears, etc. that pop up you know have three dogs that are closely related. If you read online you see so many pyrs with fears of storms/gunshots/etc. Neutered males are more likely to have this sensitivity. I’d see “what you’ve got” before bringing in another dog with the same genetics.

Just my thoughts.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to have a big male Pyr come visit us a mile from its home every 4th of July. Big baby was afraid of the fireworks. Big, big boy too. I'm sure he worked well for his farming family, but didn't like the booms.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I did end up getting a second puppy.....yes, from the same farm. I couldn't stop thinking about her......BUT I am considering letting her go to someone I know personally where she would have a wonderful life as a pet.
I mainly took her because 1) The farmer let me have 2 for $100 less than if they were bought separately since I took the momma and 2) I really didn't want to see her go to a backyard breeder (the was a man wanting all four puppies, either for breeding or flipping, I'm sure. There's a LOT of that going on around this area.
All 3 dogs are so CALM it blows my mind! They have so far been excellent around my chickens/cats/goats. Momma is the only one I've had loose with my brat mini horse and did very well!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A Great Pyrenees or any LGD, doesn't always make the best pet. These are working dogs and need something to do. Evaluate carefully before turning one into a pet. At the same time, all LGD's don't always make the best guard dogs and make great farm dogs. Our male is somewhere inbetween. It works for us.

Congrats on the puppies.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
A Great Pyrenees or any LGD, doesn't always make the best pet.

Amen to that! I see so many people wanting to "rescue" a LGD or just buy one outright and they want to keep them in town, in their homes, in tiny yards in the burbs....then they start having problems with barking, all the fur, a bored dog digging holes, jumping the fences, guarding the house and yard ALL the time making the neighbors feel threatened.

These are not your typical lap dog, town dog or family pet. It happens and it can happen, but they seriously need a job to do, they need to live outdoors, they don't need their fur shaved and shampooed all the time~contrary to popular belief, that double coat guards them against the heat more than it causes them to be hot. Take it away and they have no defense against the heat and humidity, nor the insects.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went down to one dog, didn't need 3. They all do nothing. Sleep all day and night, none "patrolled", none "stayed back while others chased". One I kept is quiet unless there actually is something, thank goodness I picked the right one to keep.

Next dog will come from a serious working background, short haired only, seriously bonded to sheep already in place and a few dashes of displeasure towards people. GPs are too friendly, its annoying. The tiny alpaca does a better job. :rolleyes: Have about 5yrs to save up for that high purchase.

Latest posts