How many times a year to vaccinate katahdin sheep?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The basic vaccine for sheep is CD/T which helps protect against Clostridium perfringens types C & D and Colstridium tetani. This is given once per year, about 30 days before the ewes lamb. I personally give lambs their first shot at 30 days old and again at 60 days old.

Depending on what your sheep are exposed to you may need to vaccinate against CL, soremouth, abortions, foot rot, etc.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Most Katahdins that are raised well in a nice environment, and have good genetics, do not need to be wormed. In fact, many breeders are working on making them as parasite resistant as possible. In my opinion, I would find the best stock possible and try not to worm unless you see problems. I worm about 10% of my sheep per year. Look for sheep with good parasite resistance genetics. Good Katahdin breeders keep records of EBV's (estimated breeding values) and this can help select the right stock for you. The trick is to find a balance of parasite resistant sheep, but still keep their fast growing and great mothering abilities.

I will post a link later today of some good Katahdin breeders in your area. You can contact someone nearby and maybe get some first hand experience with the breed and talk with the breeders.

herdsman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
boykin2010 said:
Most Katahdins that are raised well in a nice environment, and have good genetics, do not need to be wormed. In fact, many breeders are working on making them as parasite resistant as possible. In my opinion, I would find the best stock possible and try not to worm unless you see problems. I worm about 10% of my sheep per year. Look for sheep with good parasite resistance genetics. Good Katahdin breeders keep records of EBV's (estimated breeding values) and this can help select the right stock for you. The trick is to find a balance of parasite resistant sheep, but still keep their fast growing and great mothering abilities.

I will post a link later today of some good Katahdin breeders in your area. You can contact someone nearby and maybe get some first hand experience with the breed and talk with the breeders.
Yeah Thanks alot!