How much do you sell eggs for?

How much do you sell your farm fresh eggs?

• Total voters

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I got my hens 2 years ago (JUST for eggs for us) I started selling eggs to friends an family at first it was just to pay for feed bills and now I've been breaking even and that's despite the fact I've expanded my flock from 9 hens to 38 chickens only 13 are laying hens the others are young pullets and a few roosters. I currently get $2/dozen but the eggs are med-large and mixed colors. I can't and wont' claim organic because of feed costs. Local grocery store fluctates from about $1.50-2.50 for eggs. I am debating on once the younger chickens start laying to increase to $3/dozen... I know MOST of my customers wouldn't have a problem paying for it. And as a SAHM it just makes me REALLY good to contribute to the income. I have projected that once these younger hens are laying I could potentially sell 10 dozen a week.... which projects to a net (minus feed costs) of roughly $15 per week at $2/dozen. and $25 a week if I increase the costs. Which isn't much but it does help. We do keep lights on the hens so we do have eggs year around. and are planning some breeding pens but DH wants me to focus on the layers b/c at this point I have more egg requests than I can meet and so far it's just word of mouth. So just curius if you sell eggs from your backyard flock what you charge. (Also right now my customers bring back cartons and I've never had to pay for them, in fact am stock piled with them) so that's not cost at this time.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I toss a minimal amount of grain to my birds in the morning and they spend the day eating grasses, leaves and bugs. The cartons I use cost me $0.37 each. I put a label on the cartons which I print myself and each one costs me $0.07. I sell my first carton for $2.50 and then sell eggs for $2/dz as long as they re-use the same carton. I know I can sell my eggs for more but I have my chickens because I like them, the fact that I make a little change per dozen is a plus. Similar eggs to mine sell for $4-$5/dz at the local farmers markets.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Really depends on your market. If you plan on just having a base that comes to you or you to them 2.5-3 sounds about right. If you are going to a market or similar area 3.5-4.5 is what I would charge.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get $3 per dozen and people save egg cartons for me. When some one gives me a stack of cartons, I usually gift them with a dozen eggs. We eat a lot and I give them to my kids.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sell mine for $2.00 a dozen, but I sell to friends. I would probably gift most of them, but they insist on paying me, lol. Can't really turn it down now can I? But, I didn't know how much work it was going to turn into though. I wash and inspect every single egg, I make sure every carton has a nice mix of brown, white and green eggs and even though I don't size them - I always put in a mix of large and medium eggs in each carton. It would be even MORE trouble to size 'em... And, if feed keeps going up -I'm gonna raise my price!

schmije

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I sell mine for $3 a dozen. Only a couple of people have ever complained about the price. My attitude is that I'll sell to the people who are willing to pay my price. If you aren't willing to pay $3, you can buy your eggs somewhere else. I have no shortage of customers.

We had 18 layers early last year, and we couldn't keep up with the demand of our customers. Last year we raised enough to put us at 36 layers, which gives us 2 dozen or more each day. I put a sign in the yard when we have extras, but our regular customers keep the sign down more than it's up. I'm considering expanding the flock again this year, so the sign can stay out more.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get 3.00 a dozen but prefer not to sell eggs to eat as I much rather sell them for 35.00 a dozen plus shipping to someone that wants to hatch them lol
I like the Penedesencas, they lay those gorgeous eggs! Do they make good layers? I have never read about the Empordanesa, they sound interesting too.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We sell eggs for 4.00 because they are organic raised free range hens.

Hangtown Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like the Penedesencas, they lay those gorgeous eggs! Do they make good layers? I have never read about the Empordanesa, they sound interesting too.
Penedesenca are very good layers on Average. The partridge and wheaten lay the darkest on average. I have crele and black. I am hatching some partridge to diversify my crele line.

Empordanesa are a older breed than Penedesenca but similar. Both from the same general region of Spain and lay similar eggs.
eggs vary more in color. one of mine is my lightest another my darkest layer. They are extremely rare in the US. I only really know of 4 or 5 people with them. They are nice size eggs as well.
I have pictures on the website www.penedesencausa.com
I put a page for the Empordanesa since there are so few here.
In Spain they have separate clubs and websites

Attachments

• HTF17_edited-1.jpg
    HTF17_edited-1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 213
  • HTF20_edited-1.jpg
    HTF20_edited-1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 215

Latest posts