how much food?

siestadancer

Just born
Reaction score
We have two horses ..a mexican mustang male about 18 years old. He's a bit skinny where he came from. Our other horse is a thoroughbred mare about 10 years old. We feed them two scoops each every day. One for each in morning and again in afternoon. And about a bale and a half total for both of them. It just doesn't seem to be enough! They are always hungry. Am I feeding them enough??

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
siestadancer said:
We have two horses ..a mexican mustang male about 18 years old. He's a bit skinny where he came from. Our other horse is a thoroughbred mare about 10 years old. We feed them two scoops each every day. One for each in morning and again in afternoon. And about a bale and a half total for both of them. It just doesn't seem to be enough! They are always hungry. Am I feeding them enough??
That question is really hard to answer. There are an endless list of variable that affect the answer of how much is enough, including:

What are you feeding them - specifically the grain brand and type. Also, how much is "two scoops". 2quarts? 2 1lb coffee cans?
Are they getting worked or just in a pasture?
Do they have any grass to graze on?
When were their teeth last floated?
How tall are the horses and how much do they weigh?
What kind of hay - timothy, alfalfa, orchard grass, local cow farmer hay?

Pictures would also help in evaluating if they are actually under weight.

Most horses will immediately chomp down on fresh hay or grain when provided and "seem hungry". Even fat horses will seem hungry.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Two scoops of what?

And a bale and a half is a LOT of feed. So I am not sure if you mean something different then what we mean when we say a bale. Also a bale of what?

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I never go by what people say is enough. You should evaluate (or give us pics so that we can evaluate) if your horses are thin or fat (or even just right). My horses get less than 1/5 of what the bag of feed says they need, and they look great! And they each get 1/2 a bale (a normal bale) of hay per day. I would say that if they look fine, keep it the way it is! But as stated before, their teeth could be a big factor too. If they were not floated within the last year, then your horses might not be processing the food that you are giving them correctly.

Latest posts