How much hay would my horses really need?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have WAY more pasture than I do animals, and its good quality too, gets mowed and fewer weeds than most of my neighbors.

I would say that in the fall/winter, our pasture isn't grazed "short" until January or February. By the time it starts to look really short, the new growing season starts and we've got fresh spring grass, just in the nick of time.

I just opened a new pasture this year that is three times the size of the pasture I had the horses on last year.

I know that the nutrient levels will drop in the grasses, but I've put hay out for my horses during the day, and they still prefer the grass. They don't bother with the hay until the pasture is grazed short in January.

So how much hay would I really need for them under these circumstances? Should I still give them hay in the pasture during the day? Is some "busy hay" in their stalls at night all they should need? Should I give them free choice of grass or hay all season?

Basically, how much should I depend upon my pasture for my horses roughage intake? They do get grain twice a day for the added nutrition.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Plan on 1-1/2 times the basic formula: 1 pound/100 pounds of horse, and then you won't run out. We must be in a colder area than you--zone 5--but I buy for the following:
November: 1/2 bale/day per horse
December, January, February: 1 bale/day per horse
March, April: 1/2 bale/day per horse
May: 1/4 bale/day per horse, plus grazing (we keep them off of the lushest pasture then, and just let them graze on scrub, to prevent grass founder)
June-October: straight pasture
I feed ABOUT 3 flakes twice a day per 900-1100 pound horse. DO NOT do the math and just go with that, because you need to assess your horse's overall health by daily grooming. If he/she is losing weight start with adding extra hay to the diet FIRST.

IF you have the room, you store any extra bales for next year. Hay loses nutrition UP TO one year after harvest, then no more. Horses need low protein, less they founder or colic. Every horse can have different nutritional needs. Have you Vet assess, if you're not sure. Most of us prefer pelleted supplemental grain, because it wears down teeth less.

ALSO, a recent study done at Southern Illinos University (by Purina) found that horses in the 20's with little or no teeth (but still legs and a back and an athletic ability) could thrive on the newest formula of Equine Senior, soaked in water and made into a mash.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I filled my horse's hay rack, and threw some hay out in the pasture for the first time this season. The hay in the pasture is just going to waste. The hay in the stall, she has just nibbled at. Her hay rack is still full and has been for almost a week now with the same original hay. Its really good hay too.

I guess I'll just supplement with hay as they start eating it. :hu So far, my horses are still interested in grass, the hay is not being eaten. I guess I'm lucky, I'm saving money on hay right now. Perhaps I'll get lucky and they won't even bother with the hay until January again, like they did last year!

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are ALWAYS gonna go for the grass, first. Which would YOU rather eat: fresh veggies/fruits, or the tin canned stuff? Just leave the hay out until you start seeing it disappear. Close off any pastures that are highly chewed on, so that they can recover. You know, some people have to keep their horses on hay because they HAVE no pastures available!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know, I'm lucky, I've got loads of pasture. :D The horses started eating their hay yesterday because the weather was crappy and they didn't want to go out in the wind and the rain.

I'll keep plenty in their stalls for them where they can get to it whenever they want, but it won't go to waste. For now, I won't be throwing it in the pasture, or it will go to waste.

As for your question regarding which I'd rather eat, I personally prefer fresh veggies, my husband on the other hand would rather have canned, boxed, pre-packaged garbage!! :sick He's a junk food junkie! :tongue Now what to do about him??? :rant That's a whole other forum!!

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Horses need low protein, less they founder or colic.
Hi,

Just wanted to point out that this is a misconception. :) Protein does not ever cause colic or founder. It is simple carbs and sugars that cause founder and colic.

In fact, depending on the age and the work load, horses could very often need 2-3 pounds of actual protein per day. A mature horse that is basically a pasture ornament needs about 1.32 pounds of actual protein daily.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LauraM said:
Hi,

Just wanted to point out that this is a misconception. :) Protein does not ever cause colic or founder. It is simple carbs and sugars that cause founder and colic.

In fact, depending on the age and the work load, horses could very often need 2-3 pounds of actual protein per day. A mature horse that is basically a pasture ornament needs about 1.32 pounds of actual protein daily.
Hi LauraM!

Welcome to the herd!

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
LauraM said:
Hi,

Hi LauraM!

Welcome to the herd!
Thank you! :)

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Laura, :welcome :clap :woot :D

My mare actually runs hot on any protein over 10%. She's also not good with carbs, no sweet feed for her anyway! Grass and hay are what she does best on, sometimes plain old oats, but that's all she can handle. That's why I need to be sure that she has the proper amount of hay when nutritional levels drop in the pasture.

I've been giving her free choice and she's been eating some hay finally. I just keep her hayrack full in her stall and she can come in anytime she wants. I'd say she's eating about a third of a bale a day right now. Somedays, not that much. I guess I'm pretty lucky.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dianneS said:
Thank you. :)

My mare actually runs hot on any protein over 10%.
It's not a common occurrence, but some horses do show a behavior reaction to certain low-quality types of protein with what is commonly known as 'hot" behavior. Many times, switching to a higher quality protein source such as a ration balancer, or whole flax seed, will remedy that.

She's also not good with carbs, no sweet feed for her anyway! Grass and hay are what she does best on,
This is true for every horse. All horses are less tolerant of sugars and carbs, just some horse's work and lifestyle give that "rocket fuel" food an outlet (like upper level eventing, show jumping, racing, etc) and indeed, that type of feed puts a horse at the peak of energy needed to be competitive........just most of us don't need or even WANT that sort of "peak-ness." :D

sometimes plain old oats, but that's all she can handle. That's why I need to be sure that she has the proper amount of hay when nutritional levels drop in the pasture.

I've been giving her free choice and she's been eating some hay finally. I just keep her hayrack full in her stall and she can come in anytime she wants. I'd say she's eating about a third of a bale a day right now. Somedays, not that much. I guess I'm pretty lucky.
I've got some easy keepers, and I give them mostly just hay,......however, they do get a ration balancer so that I can be sure that no matter the quality of the hay/pasture, they are still getting the proper nutrition without all the fat/calories/excessive energy.