How Much Is That Mini In The Corral?

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey guys! Me again.

We have a miniature horse named Bugs, and we don't do much with him. One of our friends has been using him as a lesson horse and wants to buy him. Neither of us know a damn thing about how much a mini horse costs. So what should we sell him for?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've spent anywhere from nothing to $1400 for registered minis. That was prior 2008. Horse prices are high locally here in Indiana, stupid high. For a true under 38" mini that's safe and broke. I would pay $500-$750 for. If it's taller than 40" I'd pay more as that's what can be ridden per Indiana 4H rules. I have one 30" gelding and one 38" mare, I wouldn't take $10,000 for. My kids love them and play with them often, usually more than once a week. Have had both for over 10 years, one was born on our farm, one I bought as a yearling. I trust the kids to catch them and handle them without any supervision, or fear that anyone will get hurt besides an occasional foot being stepped on. They like to jump them and do obstacles with them.

Highland Meadows

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That really depends on several things like age, height, conformation, breeding etc. The other thing to consider is what was the mini's training level before your friend started using him as a lesson horse? Did your friend aid in the training of the mini or was he already kid friendly and fully trained before they started using him? Mini's around here seem to go for a couple hundred for just a halter broke pasture puff to $2000 if it is rideable with some training.

Pinewood Ridge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey guys! Me again.

We have a miniature horse named Bugs, and we don't do much with him. One of our friends has been using him as a lesson horse and wants to buy him. Neither of us know a damn thing about how much a mini horse costs. So what should we sell him for?
I'd say since you're in MT, you can probably get $500 or $600 for a ridable/trained mini. Less than you'd get here in KY. I paid $200 re-homing fee for my rescue mini, but he's just a pet--he's trained to eat! And be a companion for my old retired horse.

Latest posts