How much land do I want?

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Bruce, he told me I had to buy him muck boots, so he didn't get manure on him, oh, and also he is not going to shovel manure either. I told him if he was going to be a farm boy he better be willing to shovel. I think he thinks being a farm boy is petting the cattle. I can see him in the hayloft for maybe 2 minutes, then he will jump out screaming, Mom there are bugs in here.:lol:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:gig Sounds like DD1. Well, maybe the farmboy thing will grow on him. There are bugs in the out of doors, get use to it. Of course there are bugs in the "in of doors" as well!

Oh, and have him try on those Mucks before you surprise him with a pair. I found them much too tight on the calf, could hardly pull them on. If course I have some arthritis in my hands so my grip isn't so great. In any case, for "pull on boots" I got a pair of Bogs. They are looser around the calf (I can stick my pant legs inside, couldn't even think about doing that with the Mucks) and have holes in the sides for easy grab and pull on.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Muck boots also come in various heights. I even have a pair of muck "shoes" that have been a blessing for my bad ankle not bending and still keep my feet dry and warm in the dairies testing cows. I have a pair of "chore" size that come up about half calf. Yes they are snug. Helps to keep the heat in, wet & cold out.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It will be quite the sight when he steps in manure, Muck or Bogs on. I spent the summer with my grandmother who worked at Mr. Coleman's ranch. Her own little home came with milk cows, chickens, guinea fowl, peacocks, and a mean horse named Charlie who liked to sneak up on people and bite them. I begged to milk the cow, until Grandpa finally gave in. I was six. It was all good, until I realized how big they were up close. He probably chuckled for weeks. I ran from the barn. I also got in trouble for chasing the guineas. She had told me to stop once. Boy, all grandma had to do was pick up the wooden spoon from then on. At least I don't think I will have to worry about that with him. I want a donkey, and all kinds of animals. My husband just rolls his eyes. They were probably more fun when you younger, and didn't have to take care of them, he says. Thanks for letting me know about the mucks and bogs.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh my, it is a small world indeed. I think his name was John. I always called him Mr. Coleman. I just know that he had cattle, and my grandmother worked as his housekeeper during the week. In the summer, he allowed me to stay there with her in her bedroom. She had weekends off. He was very kind to me. The last time I stayed with her at his house, I was eleven. He paid attention to me. I loved to read, and was reading the Little House on the Prairie series. He had to go to a rancher's meeting in Houston, and brought me back the next three books in the series. I adored that man. He was so good to me. He took me fishing too. He didn't even fuss when I kept catching the fishing line in the pine trees. The first time I stayed the cows were in coming in from the pasture, and I just saw a huge herd of cows coming and panicked...I ran smack dab into the glass door of his house trying to get to him to tell him the cows were loose(of course they weren't) and it knocked me back a couple of feet onto my bottom. After grandma and he made sure I was okay, they doubled over laughing. That was one of the best summers ever. That was the summer there were cattle mutilations up there. Boy, was everyone talking about that. It ranged from Aliens, to Satanic Cults that were thought to be doing the mutilations. Maybe your husband has heard of my grandpa, Bart Duff.(Larkin Bartley Duff) He had children there by a previous wife. I think he either worked as a sheriff's deputy or for the police. There is a picture of him with a badge on.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jett Rd might be a good deal, but there are several things I don't like about it. For one, the house is a bit small for us. We live in about 1900 sqft now, and it works nicely though is a bit cramped given all the homeschool "stuff" we accumulate. Jett Rd is 1400 sqft. Granted, we could always consider adding onto it, but that brings me to my other issue with it. Namely, it's just outside the San Antonio city limits, and SA has a pretty aggressive annexation policy. When we moved to the city 9 years ago, we were right on the edge of town, and lots of new neighborhoods just beyond us were advertising "No City Taxes!" and such. Well, those places are all miles within the city now, much to the chagrin of many of the residents. I REALLY don't want our homestead to be within the city and subject to the city ordinances and higher tax rates.

I like north because it's gorgeous, I'm familiar with the area, we have friends up that way, and many of the places we like to visit are there. Not to mention, there's actually dirt up there and not just sand and sand burrs. But you are correct that it's crummy farmland, for the most part, and that it's goats who really thrive there (due to the terrain and brush). That said, I'm not being bullheaded about wanting to live north. Actually, we have an appointment with our real estate agent to see properties tomorrow, and all those places are south of SA (Somerset, Floresville, and Stockdale areas). I honestly do realize that our best opportunites will likely be south or east... Still, a girl can dream, right? :D

:hide <--- My 8 year old happened by as I was typing this and asked if he could add in emojis, so here they are. --->:celebrate

I definitely didnt mean you were being bullheaded and i hope i didnt come off that way. I was just trying to help make sure you were thinking of everything as we so often overlook things when we get excited about a big change like buying a new home(i know i do and DH has to rein me back in with the "did you notice" or "what about", talk about sticking a pin in your happy ballon)or our long time dream finally being a reality.

That first listing comes back as "off market" so i think it may have sold.
If it is still for sale and the site is wrong. It looks like it would work well for any grazing animal. Goats wouldnt like it a lot as they prefer to browse but they will graze if it is the only option and it doesnt seem to hurt them to do so. It appears to already be at least partly fenced which again is a plus. There are 2-3 small outbuildings i assume at least one is suitable for livestock. A little under 14acres might be a bit tight for the livestock you want but workable with some supplemental feed. That pool is to die for!!

The second one also comes up as "off market"
The listing says lush coastal grass which would be good for livestock but in the pictures it looks really brown/dead which i assume is either from being cut to short or time of year it was taken. The property again looks partly fenced, i do not see any outbuildings in the pictures or listing description. The 20 acres would give you some room to wiggle and let your pastures tolerate the hotter season better most likely but you might still be looking at buying some supplemental feed for a month or two per year. I would definitely say it looks like someone cut it though and it would probly stay greener longer without being cut.

The third one comes up as for sale!
At first i was like acreage looks rather tight...but it looks like you can buy the lots next to it if you wish as well. The single lot to the left is 11acres and would definitely give you enough space for the livestock you want plus a little for "livestock math"...if that option is within you budget/the bank would allow it. That aside i have to say so far this looks like the absolute best option. The two sections have grazing land and browse land if you did end up with goats. More importantly the un-cut pasture still looks lush and green while the cut grass not under the shade trees, around the house is mostly dead which suggests you wont have a problem with running out of green stuff for your livestock to eat in pasture. The pastures also boost several shade trees/bushes and is partly fenced. The pole barn looks livestock ready and like it already has water ran to it. I would say this is a solid property for what your after for livestock. I also notice there might be a pong by that one shade tree out in the pasture. The added browse will help stretch the pasture a bit as even grazers will browse if the browse looks better then the graze options, so if you can not budget in the additional lot next door you might be alright anyhow. The paper in the pictures states the additional lots are $8,000 per acre but i would assume since they are offering to sell all 90acres with the house plot that their "subdivision" plans fell thru perhaps and would likely give you a deal on that extra lot to encourage you to buy the house lot. For the history it only looks like they have been trying to sell the property for a year but paying taxes on over 100acres might be killing their wallet. You could possibly get the house and the additional 11 acres for 350-365k but thats just a guess from looking at the history of the property.

The fourth property comes up as for sale too!
This one looks nice and lush as well for pasture, nice shades trees, already fenced. It does not state that there are any outbuildings with the property so i would check on that. Putting in a barn and running water and electric to it are not particularly cheap things to do....of course if your after an in ground pool thats not really cheap to put in either lol. The bones on this place look good for livestock but the existing structure doesnt appear to be there however it could be and simply not mentioned since it is an Owner listing.

On another note...have you seen this place??? It more then meets your housing needs at 2,800sqft, has the acerage at 29 acres, looks like it is already ag exempt given the tax assesment, also includes 3 sheds, a barn with stalls, and is fenced and cross fenced!! Honestly it seems like this place is ideal for what your looking for in a house and your livestock needs and it is cheaper then 3 of the 4 places you asked about while still having more acerage. The place is approx the same distance as house 3 from San Antonio as well.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...475,-97.68013,28.844072,-98.594742_rect/9_zm/

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Reindeermama we didn't know your Grandpa, Bart, but we knew his brother Ester. Ester Duff lived on the corner about a mile or two from my parents. Ester was like a father to my husband and would check on him every Monday to see if he needed bailed out of jail. He was quite the party animal. LOL-I didn't know him then.....funny how my husband and I passed so close to each other so many times over the years, but didn't meet. The Duffs are an old family in Polk County and were well respected.